Quantitative Methods in Commerce (11165.2)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| Flexible
| UC - Canberra, Bruce
UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Canberra Business School||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|| Band 1 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 1 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesAfter successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an ability to solve a range of business problems by firstly synthesising, organising data, then analysing plus interpreting data and information in relation to specific topics, such as discounted cash flows and linear programming problems with 2 dimensions;
2. Clearly communicate to stakeholders the implications of the results of various techniques applied, as well as being able to identify and articulate the potential impacts of assumptions made and limitations of the techniques;
3. Demonstrate how the techniques covered in the course can be used to assist in solving problems in business, economics and finance;
4. Explain how data is sampled, collected and presented using a range of summary measures;
5. Demonstrate an ability to select appropriate techniques when dealing with unfamiliar problems in business, finance and economics, as well as structure a given problem scenario in a way that allows solution via the appropriate technique; and
6. Demonstrate the application of forecasting methods in business, economics and finance.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
2. UC graduates are global citizens - make creative use of technology in their learning and professional lives
Equivalent units5123 Business Statistics
Assumed knowledgeBasic mathematics approximately to Year 10 standard.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||07 February 2022||Flexible||Dr Xiaodong Gong|
|2022||UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce||UC College Trimester 1||21 February 2022||On-Campus||Mrs Lili Zhang|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||01 August 2022||Flexible||Dr Xiaodong Gong|
|2022||UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce||UC College Trimester 3||17 October 2022||On-Campus||Mrs Lili Zhang|
|2023||UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce||UC College Trimester 1||06 February 2023||On-Campus||Mrs Lili Zhang|
|2023||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||06 February 2023||Flexible||Dr Xiaodong Gong|
|2023||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||31 July 2023||Flexible||Dr Xiaodong Gong|
|2023||UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce||UC College Trimester 3||18 September 2023||On-Campus||Mrs Lili Zhang|
Black, K., Asafu-Adjaye, J., Burke, P., Khan, N., King, G., Perera, N., Papadimos, A., Sherwood, C. & Wasimi, S. 2019, Business Analytics and Statistics, John Wiley & Sons Australia, Milton QLD.
Selvanathan, E.A., Selvanathan, S. & Keller, G., 2017, Business Statistics Abridged: Australia/New Zealand, 7th ed, Cengage Learning Australia.
Submission of assessment items
Special assessment requirements
To pass the unit, students must
1) achieve at least 50 percent of marks overall, and
2) achieve at least 50 percent of the marks in the two invigilated tests or the final exam.
Students have a responsibility to uphold University standards on ethical scholarship. Good scholarship involves building on the work of others and use of others' work must be acknowledged with proper attribution made. Cheating, plagiarism, and falsification of data are dishonest practices that contravene academic values. Refer to the University's Student Charter for more information.
To enhance understanding of academic integrity, all students are expected to complete the Academic Integrity Module (AIM) at least once during their course of study. You can access this module within UCLearn (Canvas) through the 'Academic Integrity and Avoiding Plagiarism' link in the Study Help site.
Use of Text-Matching Software
The University of Canberra uses text-matching software to help students and staff reduce plagiarism and improve understanding of academic integrity. The software matches submitted text in student assignments against material from various sources: the internet, published books and journals, and previously submitted student texts.
Your participation in both class and online activities will enhance your understanding of the unit content and therefore, the quality of your assessment responses. Lack of participation may result in your inability to satisfactorily pass assessment items.
As per the University's policy students are expected to be available for all assessment items held during the trimester, including the examination period.
Required IT skills
Excel (Windows) and computer literacy.
Work placement, internships or practicums
- Semester 1, 2022, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (206112)
- UC College Trimester 1, 2022, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (207133)
- UC College Trimester 3, 2021, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (203063)
- Semester 2, 2021, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (209070)
- Global Pathways Program Semester 1, 2021, On-Campus, UCI - SVKM's Institute of International Studies, Mumbai (202506)
- Semester 1, 2021, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (203962)
- UC College Trimester 1, 2021, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (202707)
- UC College Trimester 3, 2020, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (197877)
- Semester 2, 2020, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (197876)
- UC College Trimester 1, 2020, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (197866)
- Global Pathways Program Semester 1, 2020, On-Campus, UCI - SVKM's Institute of International Studies, Mumbai (198817)
- Semester 1, 2020, On-Campus, UC - Global Business College of Australia, Melbourne (197868)
- Semester 1, 2020, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (197867)