Literary Studies: From Romanticism to the Present (11153.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| On-Campus
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Arts And Design|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Arts And Communications||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|| Band 1 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 1 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesAfter successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Discuss literary texts in an historical framework extending from the Romantics into the present;
2. Identify how literary texts of this period work to expand our understandings and empathies; and
3. Assess new literary texts in terms of their intellectual, emotional and political ambitions.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||01 August 2022||On-Campus||Dr Paul Magee|
|2023||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||31 July 2023||On-Campus||Dr Paul Magee|
Required texts — you must purchase and read these:
1 Alison Bechdel, Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic, any edition.
2 Safdar Ahmed, Still Alive, any edition.
3 Mary Shelley, Frankenstein, preferably in the following edition: The Original Frankenstein (Vintage Classics), ed. Charles Robinson (New York: Vintage, 2008). But if you cannot obtain the Robinson edition, please attempt to secure a version based on Shelley's original, 1818 edition. See notes below.
4 James Joyce, Finnegans Wake, any edition.
Required texts, on Canvas — you must read these:
5 William Blake, The Marriage of Heaven and Hell
6 Lord Byron Don Juan (Canto I & II)
Required tutorial readings – you must read these too:
Please see the list of weekly readings in the Timetable of Activities below. These are all available on our Canvas site, under "Reading List."
Notes on set texts:
- The total cost of the first four set texts (they remaining two are free on Canvas) is approximately $80. 1, 2 and 4 are readily available through The School Locker, or for purchase from other online vendors, and they can also be ordered in to any good bookstore. See the note immediately below on text 3, the Shelley.
- Limited copies of each will be available on 3hr and 3 day loan.
- With regard to the Shelley text, please obtain The Original Frankenstein (Vintage Classics) if you can, as it distinguishes between the words Mary wrote and her husband Percy's editorial additions. It is not available everywhere, but you can order in a copy from the Book Depository for 34$ here (Links to an external site.). If you do not obtain The Original Frankenstein, please at least make sure you are reading the 1818 edition rather than the 1831 edition, which Mary revised quite heavily, tempering some of the earlier version's radicalism in the process. There are a number of copies of the 1818 version online. The Romantic Circles website features a reputable, annotated version of it: https://romantic-circles.org/editions/frankenstein/1818_contents.html (Links to an external site.) ; you can also find the 1831 version there for comparison, plus various study tools. See too the interesting MIT https://frankenbook.pubpub.org/pub/book (Links to an external site.) which is annotated by and for scientists and engineers.
Required IT skills
None other than Canvas.
Approx. $101 for books.
Work placement, internships or practicums