The Creative Producer (11144.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| On-Campus
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Arts And Design|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Arts And Communications||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Learning outcomesAfter successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify and align a project with a market;
2. Evaluate investment and return as it applies to both commercial films and short films;
3. Use technical understanding to produce an investment budget and a production for a short film; and
4. Lead a creative team and foster collaboration in the development of a short film.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
2. UC graduates are global citizens - think globally about issues in their profession
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
2. UC graduates are global citizens - make creative use of technology in their learning and professional lives
Prerequisites11139 Short Film Production.
Corequisites11142 Creative Collaboration and Specialisation in Film Project.
Equivalent units9675 Level 3 Film Project.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||08 February 2021||On-Campus||Dr Susan Thwaites|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||07 February 2022||On-Campus||Dr Susan Thwaites|
Muchnik, Federico Arditti. The Strategic Producer: On the Art and Craft of Making Your First Feature. CRC Press, 2016.
We strongly advise to buy this text as it is a great source. There are some copies in the library.
Submission of assessment items
Extensions & Late submissions
LATE SUBMISSION Policy as per parragraph 9.12.49 of the Assessment Policy and Procedures
For pedagogical reasons, following industry standards, assignments submitted late without an extension will recieve a Zero Grade.
Extension will only be given for documented reasons.
For assignment 2, each student in the three student team must submit the Online assignment via canvas. Failure to submit Online will result in a zero grade. For assesment purposes the online version will be checked against the hard copy and the hard copy will be assesed.
Special assessment requirements
To demonstrate that you have met all the learning outcomes and thereby pass the unit, you will need to achieve a pass for both assessment items. Less than 50 % in either assignment will result in a fail for the unit.
If a student fails due to a late submission they may appy for a supplimentary assement.
The supplimentary submission will marked pass 50% or fail 0%
If left to the last moment the workload for this unit hurts.... so go hard and go early.
Please note that this unit requires a great deal of self directed study, however, failure to attend classes may have a negative impact on your grade due to you having missed important information and in-class disscusions.
Required IT skills
Students are expected to have IT skill comensurate with level three of the BA Film Production or level 3 in the BA (Film Production).
The Production Bible needs to be printed and bound, this is part of the assessment. This cost needs to be divided by all three group members equally and considerations around this cost need to be taken in to account for this unit.
Work placement, internships or practicums