Word and Image (11119.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| On-Campus
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Arts And Design|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Arts And Communications||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Learning outcomesAfter successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Design and/or write works influenced by art from other cultures;
2. Critically respond to and compose poetry that employs poetic imagery;
3. Write a short ekphrastic work in prose or poetry;
4. Compose a short digital creative work using words and visual imagery; and
5. Critically engage with creative works featuring and/or influenced by image and reflect on the impact of the message.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
2. UC graduates are global citizens - think globally about issues in their profession
2. UC graduates are global citizens - adopt an informed and balanced approach across professional and international boundaries
2. UC graduates are global citizens - understand issues in their profession from the perspective of other cultures
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - reflect on their own practice, updating and adapting their knowledge and skills for continual professional and academic development
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - be self-aware
Prerequisites11115 From Hungry Caterpillars to Hunger Games.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||07 February 2022||On-Campus||Dr Owen Bullock|
|2023||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||06 February 2023||On-Campus||Dr Owen Bullock|
All unit readings, including some URLs and links, are available in the Reading List section of the unit's Canvas site.
All students are expected to attend classes in order to have the best chance of success in the unit, unless they have a compelling reason for not doing so. Weekly readings provide background and context for your writing and you are expected to undertake the relevant reading prior to each tutorial. Where PowerPoints are used, these will be made available to you via this Canvas site. Lectures will be recorded.
To have the best chance of success in this unit please:
- Read through the unit outline
- Mark due dates of assignments and reminders in your calendar
- Complete the readings before lectures and tutorials
- Write regularly and always edit your work
- Submit your assignments on time
Required IT skills
You will need to use a computer and possibly an iPhone, camera or iPad, and may be involved in employing common software in creative ways.
You may need to provide your own transport to visit a gallery or museum.
Work placement, internships or practicums