Foundations of Marketing Communication (11096.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| On-Campus
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Arts And Design|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Arts And Communications||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Learning outcomesAfter successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Describe the key principles and multidisciplinary study underpinning marketing communication;
2. Explain the various aspects of the professional practice in the context of integrated marketing communication; and
3. Apply the basic context within which marketing communication is located, including markets and processes, to include theories of communication and persuasion.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
2. UC graduates are global citizens - make creative use of technology in their learning and professional lives
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - adapt to complexity, ambiguity and change by being flexible and keen to engage with new ideas
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - be self-aware
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - evaluate and adopt new technology
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - reflect on their own practice, updating and adapting their knowledge and skills for continual professional and academic development
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||08 February 2021||On-Campus||Mr Shaun Cheah|
|2021||UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce||UC College Trimester 1||22 February 2021||On-Campus||Miss Chenchen Li|
|2021||UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce||UC College Trimester 3||18 October 2021||On-Campus||Miss Chenchen Li|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||07 February 2022||On-Campus||Mr Shaun Cheah|
|2022||UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce||UC College Trimester 3||17 October 2022||On-Campus||Miss Chenchen Li|
As no single book covers all the material considered in this unit, a list of readings (and other related links) will also be provided through on Canvas to complement the main topics. Despite the material provided, nothing will substitute active engagement with the unit content and the following reference materials are also recommended:-
1. Chitty, B., Luck, E., Barker, N., Sassenberg, A. Shimp, T & Andrews, J.C. (2017) Integrated Marketing Communication, 5th Asia-Pacific Edition Australia: Cengage
2. Arens, W. F., Schaefer, D. H. & Weigold, M. (2009). Essentials of Contemporary Advertising – Second edition. McGraw-Hill Irwin, New York.
3. Blakeman, R. (2014). NonTraditional Media in Marketing and Advertising. Sage.
4. Casimir, J. (2010). The Gruen Transfer. The ABC Books, Australia.
5. Clow, K & Baach, D. (2007). Integrated Advertising, Promotion and Marketing Communication. New Jersey: Prentice Hall
6. Eagle, L., Dahl, S., Czarnecka, B. & Lloyd, J. (2015). Marketing Communication. Routledge.
7. Fill, C. (2009). Involvement theory in Marketing Communication: Interactivity, Communities and Context (5th edition). Prentice Hall.
8. Johnson, L. D. (2010). Customer engagement is the new marketing, Journal of Advertising Research. 50(2), 1-3.
9. Kliatchko, J. (2008) Revisiting the IMC construct: a revised definition and four pillars.International Journal of Advertising, 27(1).
10. Smith, P. R. & Zook, Z. E. (2016), Marketing Communication (6th Edition), Kogan Page Limited
1. Marketing Magazine Asia https://marketingmagazine.com.my/ (https://marketingmagazine.com.my/)
2. Campaign Asia https://www.campaignasia.com/ (https://www.campaignasia.com/)
3. AdWeek www.adweek.com (http://www.adweek.com)
4. Advertising Age - UC Library via http://www.canberra.edu.au/library/research-gateway/ejournals (http://www.canberra.edu.au/library/research-gateway/ejournals)
5. WARC http://www.warc.com.ezproxy2.canberra.edu.au/Default.asp?ID=1 (http://www.warc.com.ezproxy2.canberra.edu.au/Default.asp?ID=1)
6. BusinessWeek - UC Library via http://www.canberra.edu.au/library/research-gateway/e-journals (http://www.canberra.edu.au/library/research-gateway/e-journals)
7. Campaign (London) UC Library Individual Holdings, or via http://www.canberra.edu.au/library/research-gateway/e-journals (http://www.canberra.edu.au/library/researchgateway/
8. Harvard Business Review – UC Library via http://www.canberra.edu.au/library/researchgateway/e-journals (http://www.canberra.edu.au/library/researchgateway/e-journals)
9. The Journal of Marketing - UC Library via http://www.canberra.edu.au/library/researchgateway/e-journals (http://www.canberra.edu.au/library/researchgateway/e-journals)
10. The Journal of Advertising - UC Library via http://www.canberra.edu.au/library/researchgateway/e-journals (http://www.canberra.edu.au/library/researchgateway/e-journals)
11. The Journal of Advertising Research - UC Library via http://www.canberra.edu.au/library/research-gateway/e-journals (http://www.canberra.edu.au/library/research-gateway/ejournals)
Advertising – Marketing Communication Industry Association websites:
1. Australian Association of National Advertisers (AANA) http://www.aana.com.au/ (http://www.aana.com.au/)
2. Media Federation of Australia http://mediafederation.org.au/ (http://mediafederation.org.au/)
3. International Advertising Association (IAA) http://www.iaaglobal.org/ (http://www.iaaglobal.org/)
4. American Advertising Federation (AAF) http://www.aaf.org/ (http://www.aaf.org/)
5. American Association of Advertising Agencies (4As) http://www2.aaaa.org/Portal/Pages/default.aspx (http://www2.aaaa.org/Portal/Pages/default.aspx)
6. World Federation of Advertisers (WFA) http://www.wfanet.org/ (http://www.wfanet.org/)
Required IT skills
Work placement, internships or practicums
The Unit Convenor reserves the right to vary the lecture and tutorial schedule to take timely advantage of an advertising event, field trip opportunity or guest speaker. Notice of such variation will be made through Canvas announcement.
The standard practice of using referencing systems such as Harvard or the American Psychological Association (APA – 7th edition) Style Manual is preferred. The UC referencing guide is uploaded for your reference in your Canvas site.
Use of Email
Your lecturer will only email to your UC student email account and not to your personal email. We encourage students to regularly check their student emails and to use their given student email to contact the unit staff. You are guaranteed to get a quicker response by using your student email.
If there is any doubt on the requirements of any particular assignment or assessment procedure, the onus of clarification rests with the student who should contact the convenor about the matter. Students have a responsibility to:
- Read, understand and respect the rules concerning plagiarism;
- Familiarise themselves with the conventions of referencing in their discipline; and
- avoid all acts, which could be considered plagiarism.
Provision of information
Announcements made at lectures, tutorials and workshops are deemed to be made to the whole group.
Equivalent units9496 Principles of Marketing Communication.
- UC College Trimester 1, 2021, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (199469)
- Semester 1, 2021, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (199222)
- UC College Trimester 2, 2020, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (203248)
- UC College Trimester 1, 2020, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (194515)
- Semester 1, 2020, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (193932)
- UC College Trimester 1, 2019, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (191969)
- Semester 1, 2019, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (184411)