The Art and Power of Communication (11079.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| On-Campus
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Arts And Design|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Arts And Communications||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Learning outcomesAfter successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate understanding of narratives as cultural and ethical texts;
2. Construct written narratives that demonstrate the skillful and creative use of language;
3. Tailor narratives for digital and non-digital platforms; and
4. Engage with, reflect on and demonstrate an appreciation of cultural difference in narrative formation, content and delivery.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
2. UC graduates are global citizens - think globally about issues in their profession
2. UC graduates are global citizens - adopt an informed and balanced approach across professional and international boundaries
2. UC graduates are global citizens - understand issues in their profession from the perspective of other cultures
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||07 February 2022||On-Campus||Mr Scott Bridges|
|2022||UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce||UC College Trimester 1||21 February 2022||On-Campus||Miss Chenchen Li|
|2022||UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce||UC College Trimester 3||17 October 2022||On-Campus||Miss Chenchen Li|
Required readings for each week come from Chandler & Munday (2011), A Dictionary of Media and Communication. Oxford. Oxford University Press.
This resource is available through the Reading List on the Canvas site for the unit.
Listening to lectures and participation in tutorials enables students to best meet the criteria in all assessment items. Work undertaken in tutorials directly feeds into Assignments 1 and 3, and informs Assignment 2.
Required IT skills
Students are expected to be able to access materials on the unit's Canvas site, and competency in PC-based operating systems is expected (e.g Powerpoint, Word).
Students enrolled in the online tutorial should ensure their mic is working. Use of camera is encouraged so students shuold ensure that it is in working condition.
Work placement, internships or practicums
- Semester 1, 2022, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (206458)
- UC College Trimester 2, 2021, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (203905)
- Semester 1, 2021, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (199212)
- UC College Trimester 3, 2020, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (197012)
- UC College Trimester 1, 2020, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (194514)
- Semester 1, 2020, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (193902)
- Winter Term, 2019, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (191824)
- UC College Trimester 1, 2019, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (191968)
- Semester 1, 2019, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (184205)