Innovation Toolbox PG (11077.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| On-Campus
| Bruce, Canberra
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Arts And Design|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Design And The Built Environment||Post Graduate Level|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
This is a problem-based learning unit comprising a mix of lectures, tutorials and interactive workshops. In the workshops and tutorials students will work both independently and collaboratively to explore and understand the processes and skills needed to develop a concept for different market requirements. Through investigation of real-world case studies and guest lectures from industry professionals, students will learn how to create an innovative growth strategy and effectively communicate and promote the strategy.
Learning outcomesAfter successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Critically identify innovation strategies and how it applies to different design driven businesses;
2. Evaluate marketplaces, pricing and demands to create an integrated business plan, promotion strategy and future direction; and
3. Critically select and apply design tools and methods to real projects with a focus on social outcomes.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
2. UC graduates are global citizens - think globally about issues in their profession
2. UC graduates are global citizens - behave ethically and sustainably in their professional and personal lives
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - adapt to complexity, ambiguity and change by being flexible and keen to engage with new ideas
This unit will run for UC Students, parallel to the intensive unit for Compton School Students. This timetable is an indication only and changes may occur
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2023||Bruce, Canberra||Semester 1||06 February 2023||On-Campus||Dr Mehves Cetinkaya Sendas|
|2023||Bruce, Canberra||Period 2||03 April 2023||Flexible||Dr Mehves Cetinkaya Sendas|
- Main Source 1: Harvard Business School. Press. (2009). The Innovator's Toolkit: 10 Practical Strategies to Help You Develop and Implement Innovation. Harvard Business Press.
- Main Source 2: Von Stamm, B. (2008). Managing innovation, design and creativity. John Wiley & Sons.
- Liedtka, J., & Ogilvie, T. (2011). Designing for growth: A design thinking tool kit for managers. Columbia University Press.
- De Bonte, A., & Fletcher, D. (2014). Scenario-Focused Engineering: A toolbox for innovation and customer-centricity. Microsoft Press.
- Silverstein, D., Samuel, P., & DeCarlo, N. (2013). The innovator's toolkit: 50+ techniques for predictable and sustainable organic growth. John Wiley & Sons.
- Beckley, J. H., Paredes, D., & Lopetcharat, K. (2012). Product innovation toolbox: a field guide to consumer understanding and research. John Wiley & Sons.
- Bruce, M., & Bessant, J. R. (2002). Design in business: Strategic innovation through design. Pearson education.
All required reading materials including the list above and additional reading materials such as journal papers will be available for student access through the Reading List on Canvas.
Required IT skills
Computer and Projector
Work placement, internships or practicums
- Semester 1, 2023, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (211893)
- Period 2, 2023, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (211211)
- Period 2, 2022, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (207730)
- Semester 1, 2022, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (206455)
- Period 2, 2021, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (203669)
- Semester 1, 2021, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (199209)
- Semester 1, 2020, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (193900)