Strategic Design for New Economies PG (11075.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|
|0.25||6||Faculty Of Arts And Design|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Design And The Built Environment||Post Graduate Level|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesAfter successful completion of this unit, students will be able to
1. Critically review new economies and businesses and critique the role design plays;
2. Evaluate, select and apply design thinking techniques to create design-solutions for new businesses and contemporary economies; and
3. Research and critically evaluate case studies to propose new design-led business solutions.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
2. UC graduates are global citizens - think globally about issues in their profession
2. UC graduates are global citizens - adopt an informed and balanced approach across professional and international boundaries
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
2. UC graduates are global citizens - make creative use of technology in their learning and professional lives
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - adapt to complexity, ambiguity and change by being flexible and keen to engage with new ideas
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - evaluate and adopt new technology
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
- Julier, G. (2017). Economies of design. Sage.
- Bryson, J. R., & Rusten, G. (2010). Design economies and the changing world economy: Innovation, production and competitiveness. Routledge.
- Aspara, J. (2009). Where product design meets investor behavior: how do individual investors' evaluations of companies' product design influence their investment decisions?. University of Art and Design.
- Heskett, J. (2017). Design and the Creation of Value. Bloomsbury Publishing.
The unit will be taught as lectures and associated tutorials that enable the student to build up to an understanding of different innovative tools and techniques. Students will be guided through the content using a mixture of lectures, guest speaker seminars, case studies, discussions. Due to the nature of this master's unit, students should be aware that they should be able to allocate additional time for their own self-directed learning in addition to the allocated hours of this unit. There will be take-home assignments/readings each week.
Required IT skills
Computer and Projector
Work placement, internships or practicums