Professional Practice 2: Work Integrated Learning (11018.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| Flexible
| UC - Canberra, Bruce
UC - TAFE Queensland, Mount Gravatt
UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Arts And Design|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Arts And Communications||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Learning outcomesAfter successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
1. Reflect on and evaluate the standards of performance and practice expected in the workplace and the profession, and how professional skills and knowledge align with these expectations;
2. Analyse the role and application of theoretical ideas and knowledge in the professional context;
3. Solve problems and make appropriate and ethical decisions in the workplace or professional contexts using information, professional knowledge and consideration of different perspectives; and
4. Acquire, articulate and apply a range of transferable employability skills.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
2. UC graduates are global citizens - adopt an informed and balanced approach across professional and international boundaries
2. UC graduates are global citizens - understand issues in their profession from the perspective of other cultures
This faculty-wide unit offers a number of streams; your choice will depend on your degree and your individual circumstances. Streams include the following; further information is available on the Canvas site.
Internships. Available to students of: Communication and Media; Visual Communication and Interaction Design; Arts; and Building and Construction Management.
- 100 hours unpaid or paid internship in an approved workplace, with a workplace mentor. Positions are available through CareerHub or students can source their own. All internships must be approved by the Internships Stream Coordinator.
Project Hub. Available to students of: Communication and Media; Visual Communication and Interaction Design; Arts.
- In this stream, students work in teams to real clients on real projects with defined time limits.
- Teams are single or multi-disciplinary and work with industry and academic mentors.
- Projects will be advertised on Canvas.
Creative Lab. Available to students of Arts.
- This is an experimental space primarily for Arts students who are interested in creative careers. In the Creative Lab you will discuss, define, prepare, develop and produce your own creative project; reflect on your creative practice; understand the outlets and/or audiences for your work; and consider how best to 'pitch' your work to others.
Work Based Learning. Available by application only to those students who are working full-time in their discipline, for whom the other streams are neither useful nor possible.
PrerequisitesThis unit is only available to students in the Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Communication and Media, Bachelor of Design, Bachelor of Creative Industries and Bachelor of Digital Design programs.
Students must have passed 36 credits points in the course AND one of the following units:
10333 Professional Orientation: Arts OR
10334 Professional Orientation: Built Environment OR
10335 Professional Orientation: Communication and Media OR
10336 Professional Orientation: Design OR
11591 Professional Orientation (Creative Industries and Digital Design)
Incompatible units11574 Professional Practice: WIL Studio 3
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Summer Semester||29 November 2021||Flexible||Mr Ian McHugh|
|2022||UC - TAFE Queensland, Mount Gravatt||Semester 1||07 February 2022||On-Campus||Mrs Michelle Carter|
|2022||UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank||Semester 1||07 February 2022||On-Campus||Mrs Michelle Carter|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Winter Term||30 May 2022||Flexible||Dr Barbara Walsh|
Readings and resources will be available on Canvas.
Submission of assessment items
Extensions & Late submissions
Please confirm all submission requirements on Canvas.
Students have a responsibility to uphold University standards on ethical scholarship. Good scholarship involves building on the work of others and use of others' work must be acknowledged with proper attribution made. Cheating, plagiarism, and falsification of data are dishonest practices that contravene academic values. Refer to the University's Student Charter for more information.
To enhance understanding of academic integrity, all students are expected to complete the Academic Integrity Module (AIM) at least once during their course of study. You can access this module within UCLearn (Canvas) through the 'Academic Integrity and Avoiding Plagiarism' link in the Study Help site.
Use of Text-Matching Software
The University of Canberra uses text-matching software to help students and staff reduce plagiarism and improve understanding of academic integrity. The software matches submitted text in student assignments against material from various sources: the internet, published books and journals, and previously submitted student texts.
Please confirm participation requirements in your relevant stream information on Canvas.
Required IT skills
Relevant and particular skills needed for the streams will be included on Canvas. Please check in your relevant Stream modules for information.
Work placement, internships or practicums
This unit involves a choice of internship/project/simulation/virtual WIL.
If undertaking an internship you have pre-placement requirements (e.g. recording of relevant details in InPlace etc), which must be completed prior to commencement of your internship; refer to Placement Requirements.
Contact your unit convener if you have any concerns with meeting the requirements of this unit.
- Winter Term, 2021, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (199509)
- Semester 1, 2021, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank (204198)
- Semester 1, 2021, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, Mount Gravatt (204247)
- Semester 1, 2021, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (199228)
- Winter Term, 2020, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (194871)
- Semester 1, 2020, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (193974)
- Winter Term, 2019, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (191828)
- Semester 1, 2019, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (184202)