Professional Practice 1: Work Integrated Learning (11017.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| On-Campus
| UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank
UC - Canberra, Bruce
UC - TAFE Queensland, Mount Gravatt
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Arts And Design|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Arts And Communications||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|| Band 1 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020)
Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Learning outcomesAfter successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
1. Reflect on and analyse professional ethical codes, standards of conduct and legal parameters as practised in the workplace and in professional settings;
2. Apply disciplinary skills and knowledge in real-world contexts and critically analyse this process; and
3. Practice the principles of collaboration with peers and colleagues to achieve effective and innovative outcomes.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
2. UC graduates are global citizens - adopt an informed and balanced approach across professional and international boundaries
2. UC graduates are global citizens - understand issues in their profession from the perspective of other cultures
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
2. UC graduates are global citizens - make creative use of technology in their learning and professional lives
This faculty-wide unit offers a number of options; your choice will depend on your degree and your individual circumstances. The options are:
Internships. Available to students of: Communication and Media; Visual Communication and Interaction Design; Arts; and Building and Construction Management.
- 100 hours unpaid or paid internship in an approved workplace, with a workplace mentor. Positions are available through CareerHub or students can source their own. All internships must be approved by the Internships Stream Coordinator.
Project Hub. Available to students of: Communication and Media; Visual Communication and Arts.
- In this stream, students work in teams to real clients on real projects. Teams are single or multi-disciplinary and work with industry and academic mentors.
Creative Lab. Available to students of Arts.
- This is an experimental space primarily for Arts students who are interested in creative careers. In the Creative Lab you will discuss, define, prepare and develop your own creative project; reflect on your creative practice; understand the outlets and/or audiences for your work; and consider how best to 'pitch' your work to others.
Workplace Learning: Available to all students who are working full time in a role aligned to thier degree.
Studio Stream. for Interior Architecture students only.
PrerequisitesThis unit is only available to students in the Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Communication and Media, Bachelor of Design, Bachelor of Creative Industries and Bachelor of Digital Design programs. Students must have passed 24 credits points in the course AND one of the following units: 10333 Professional Orientation: Arts OR 10334 Professional Orientation: Built Environment OR 10335 Professional Orientation: Communication and Media OR 10336 Professional Orientation: Design OR 11591 Professional Orientation (Creative Industries and Digital Design)
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2021||UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank||Summer Semester||30 November 2020||On-Campus||Dr Patrick Mitchell|
|2021||UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank||Winter Term||01 June 2021||On-Campus||Dr Patrick Mitchell|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Winter Term||01 June 2021||Flexible||Dr Barbara Walsh|
|2021||UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank||Semester 2||02 August 2021||On-Campus||Mrs Michelle Carter|
|2021||UC - TAFE Queensland, Mount Gravatt||Semester 2||02 August 2021||On-Campus||Mrs Michelle Carter|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||02 August 2021||Flexible||Mrs Natalie Larkins|
|2022||UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank||Summer Semester||28 November 2021||On-Campus||Dr Patrick Mitchell|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Winter Term||30 May 2022||Flexible||Dr Barbara Walsh|
|2022||UC - TAFE Queensland, Mount Gravatt||Semester 2||01 August 2022||On-Campus||Mrs Michelle Carter|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||01 August 2022||Flexible||Mrs Natalie Larkins|
|2022||UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank||Semester 2||01 August 2022||On-Campus||Mrs Michelle Carter|
All readings and resources will be on Canvas
Required IT skills
Work placement, internships or practicums
This unit involves work integrated learning options such as internships and projects and therefore, additional student responsibilities are required in addition to those described in this section. Workplace learning requires strict adherence to professional practice principles and ethics. Client/patient confidentiality must always be maintained, including for assessment items such as reports or essays. The professional nature of this unit also requires 100% participation at all learning activities (lectures, workshops etc. if scheduled – see section 3) for the successful completion of this unit (also see section 6c). If attendance requirements cannot be satisfied (e.g. timetable clash), it is recommended that you meet with your Course Convener to schedule this unit for a future semester.
- Winter Term, 2021, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank (209304)
- Winter Term, 2021, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (199508)
- Semester 2, 2020, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (195551)
- Winter Term, 2020, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (194870)
- Summer Semester, 2020, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, Mount Gravatt (198566)
- Semester 2, 2019, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (184989)
- Winter Term, 2019, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (191827)