Professional Practice 1: Work Integrated Learning (11017.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| On-Campus
| UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank
UC - Canberra, Bruce
UC - TAFE Queensland, Mount Gravatt
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Arts And Design|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Arts And Communications||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Learning outcomesAfter successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
1. Reflect on and analyse professional ethical codes, standards of conduct and legal parameters as practised in the workplace and in professional settings;
2. Apply disciplinary skills and knowledge in real-world contexts and critically analyse this process; and
3. Practice the principles of collaboration with peers and colleagues to achieve effective and innovative outcomes.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
2. UC graduates are global citizens - adopt an informed and balanced approach across professional and international boundaries
2. UC graduates are global citizens - understand issues in their profession from the perspective of other cultures
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
2. UC graduates are global citizens - make creative use of technology in their learning and professional lives
This faculty-wide unit offers a number of options; your choice will depend on your degree and your individual circumstances. The options are:
- 100 hours unpaid or paid internship in an approved workplace, with a workplace mentor. Positions are available through CareerHub or students can source their own. All internships must be approved by the Internships Coordinator.
- In this stream, students work in teams to real and simulated clients on real projects with defined time limits. Teams are single or multi-disciplinary and work with industry and academic mentors.
- This is an experimental space for students who are interested in creative careers. In the Creative Lab you will discuss, define, prepare and develop your own creative project; reflect on your creative practice; understand the outlets and/or audiences for your work; and consider how best to 'pitch' your work to others.
PrerequisitesThis unit is only available to students in the Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Communication and Media, Bachelor of Design, Bachelor of Creative Industries and Bachelor of Digital Design programs.
Students must have passed 24 credits points in the course AND one of the following units:
10333 Professional Orientation: Arts OR
10334 Professional Orientation: Built Environment OR
10335 Professional Orientation: Communication and Media OR
10336 Professional Orientation: Design OR
11591 Professional Orientation (Creative Industries and Digital Design)
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2022||UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank||Summer Semester||29 November 2021||On-Campus||Mr Chris Worfold|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Summer Semester||29 November 2021||Flexible||Mr Ian McHugh|
|2022||UC - TAFE Queensland, Mount Gravatt||Semester 2||01 August 2022||On-Campus||Mr Chris Worfold|
|2022||UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank||Semester 2||01 August 2022||On-Campus||Mr Chris Worfold|
|2023||UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank||Summer Semester||28 November 2022||On-Campus||Dr Patrick Mitchell|
|2023||UC - TAFE Queensland, Mount Gravatt||Semester 2||31 July 2023||On-Campus||Mrs Michelle Carter|
|2023||UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank||Semester 2||31 July 2023||On-Campus||Mrs Michelle Carter|
All readings and resources will be on Canvas
Required IT skills
Where relevant to some major workshops: please see Canvas for further details
Work placement, internships or practicums
This unit involves internships/WIL projects/simulations.
Students must adhere to University policy during WIL experiences, including the Student Conduct Rules 2018, the WIL Policy and WIL Procedure, and the Assessment Policy and Assessment Procedure.
This unit has pre-placement requirements, which must be completed prior to commencement of your internship; refer to Placement Requirements
Contact your unit convener if you have any concerns with meeting the requirements of this unit.
- Semester 2, 2022, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, Mount Gravatt (208678)
- Semester 2, 2021, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, Mount Gravatt (204246)
- Semester 2, 2021, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank (204228)
- Semester 2, 2021, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (199735)
- Winter Term, 2021, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank (209304)
- Winter Term, 2021, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (199508)
- Semester 2, 2020, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (195551)
- Winter Term, 2020, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (194870)
- Summer Semester, 2020, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, Mount Gravatt (198566)
- Semester 2, 2019, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (184989)
- Winter Term, 2019, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (191827)