BE: Analysis Studio (11014.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| On-Campus
|| South Bank, QLD
UC College, Bruce, ACT
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Arts And Design|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Design And The Built Environment||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 3 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesAfter successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Develop and apply a range of tools and processes in a design context;
2. Undertake analysis and respond appropriately to a studio brief;
3. Identify how observation, analysis, experiment and critique apply to architecture, interior and landscape design processes; and
4. Select and apply a range of skills covering verbal, graphic and 3-dimensional presentation.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
2. UC graduates are global citizens - think globally about issues in their profession
2. UC graduates are global citizens - adopt an informed and balanced approach across professional and international boundaries
2. UC graduates are global citizens - understand issues in their profession from the perspective of other cultures
Equivalent units8314 Design Studio 1.1
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2023||South Bank, QLD||Semester 1||06 February 2023||On-Campus||Mr Tom James|
|2023||Bruce, Canberra||Semester 1||06 February 2023||On-Campus||Dr Julian Raxworthy|
|2023||UC College, Bruce, ACT||UC College Trimester 1||06 February 2023||On-Campus||Miss Swarali Sidhaye|
|2023||UC College, Bruce, ACT||UC College Trimester 3||18 September 2023||On-Campus||Miss Swarali Sidhaye|
|2024||South Bank, QLD||Semester 1||05 February 2024||On-Campus||Mr Tom James|
|2024||Bruce, Canberra||Semester 1||05 February 2024||On-Campus||Dr Julian Raxworthy|
|2024||UC College, Bruce, ACT||UC College Trimester 2||03 June 2024||On-Campus||Mr James Young|
Suggested readings will be provided on a week to week basis as the semester progresses, and will be available online and/or at the University of Canberra Library
Ching, F & J.F Eckler 2013, Introduction to Architecture A John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New Jersey.
Simitch, Andrea, 2014, Language of Architecture : 26 Principles Every Architect Should Know
von Meiss, Pierre, Elements of Architecture, from Form to Place, New York: Spon Press, 2007
Unwin, Simon, analysing Architecture, Oxon UK, Routledge, 2009
Ching, F 2007, Architecture: form, space, and order, 3rd edn, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New Jersey.
Ching, F 1975, Architectural Graphics, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New Jersey.
Ching, F 1998, Design Drawing, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New Jersey.
Hertzberger, Herman, Lessons for Students in Architecture, Rotterdam, 010 Publishers, 2009
Submission of assessment items
Extensions & Late submissions
Students are required to upload their work on Canvas AND present it during the scheduled class in order to be marked.
Good quality, clear photographs of 3d models must be uploaded with assignments. It is recomended that students take the time to create a blank white, grey or black backdrop for all photos of physical models.
Students have a responsibility to uphold University standards on ethical scholarship. Good scholarship involves building on the work of others and use of others' work must be acknowledged with proper attribution made. Cheating, plagiarism, and falsification of data are dishonest practices that contravene academic values. Refer to the University's Student Charter for more information.
To enhance understanding of academic integrity, all students are expected to complete the Academic Integrity Module (AIM) at least once during their course of study. You can access this module within UCLearn (Canvas) through the 'Academic Integrity and Avoiding Plagiarism' link in the Study Help site.
Use of Text-Matching Software
The University of Canberra uses text-matching software to help students and staff reduce plagiarism and improve understanding of academic integrity. The software matches submitted text in student assignments against material from various sources: the internet, published books and journals, and previously submitted student texts.
Inclusion and engagement
It is strongly recommended that students who need assistance in undertaking the unit because of disability or an ongoing health condition register with the Inclusion and Engagement Office as soon as possible so that reasonable adjustment arrangements can be made.
Attendance at scheduled classes and contribution over the trimester is expected. Presentation and discussion of your work in progress is essential for the development of your design skills in meeting the learning outcomes of the subject and for your design education.
Participation in studio sessions and reviews provides important opportunities for feedback and demonstrates that the submitted work is your own.
In order to receive a grade of Pass or better, students must bring their work in progress to studio sessions, reviews and juries as detailed in the unit outline. Assessment items that have not been presented for review during the semester as required may not be submitted for final assessment.
Please advise the Unit Convener if you are unable to attend a particular class or studio.
Participation is assessed via Assignment 1 & 3.
Required IT skills
Tutorials in InDesign and AutoCAD may be provided.
See Material Requirements
Work placement, internships or practicums
- UC College Trimester 3, 2023, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (211006)
- Semester 1, 2023, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank (211943)
- UC College Trimester 1, 2023, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (210956)
- Semester 1, 2023, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (211942)
- UC College Trimester 2, 2022, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (209798)
- Semester 1, 2022, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (206512)
- Semester 1, 2022, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank (206513)
- UC College Trimester 3, 2021, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (199932)
- UC College Trimester 1, 2021, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (199465)
- Semester 1, 2021, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (199260)
- UC College Trimester 2, 2020, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (203241)
- Semester 1, 2020, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (194133)
- UC College Trimester 3, 2019, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (192486)
- Winter Term, 2019, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (192409)
- UC College Trimester 1, 2019, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (191964)
- Semester 1, 2019, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (184266)