Professional Orientation (Government and Policy) (11012.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| Flexible
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Canberra School Of Politics, Economics And Society||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Learning outcomesUpon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify the personal skills, capabilities and knowledge necessary to meet the work standards expected by government and policy disciplines in the workplace, and develop a personal and academic plan to achieve these;
2. Map out their academic and professional trajectories over the next five years in an ePortfolio;
3. Demonstrate their ability to recall and apply the professional and personal skills required in the fields of politics, economics, and sociology; and
4. Communicate how they can leverage their studies within the School of Government & Policy, specifically by identifying areas of growth in the above-mentioned fields, so that they can graduate ready to work, be competitive for that promotion, and/or enter into a higher degree.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
2. UC graduates are global citizens - think globally about issues in their profession
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - reflect on their own practice, updating and adapting their knowledge and skills for continual professional and academic development
Equivalent units9799 Foundations of Professional Planning, 11011 Professional Orientation (Business), 11010 Professional Orientation (Commerce) and 11507 Professional Orientation (Fundamentals).
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2023||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||06 February 2023||Flexible||Dr Michael De Percy|
|2023||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||31 July 2023||Flexible||Dr Jean-Paul Gagnon|
The required textbook for this unit is available for free via a Creative Commons licence and can be downloaded from the unit Canvas site. Details are as follows:
Brooks, K. and Foy, G.J. (2020). Picture Your Career: Visualize and Plan Your Career Path. Nashville, TN: Vanderbilt Career Center.
Students are expected to participate in tutorials whether online or face to face. Students who fail this unit tend to be those who do not attend classes. Tutorial participation is assessed. Participation is more than attending, and students will be assessed on their participation through thoughtful discussion of and reflection on personal and professional experiences and engagement with the unit materials, concepts, and ideas.
Required IT skills
Students must submit all assignments in the required electronic formats on UCLearn and are expected to know or learn how to use core features of the UCLearn site, including accessing readings, slides, lecture recordings and related teaching material.
Students will have the option of enrolling in an online or face-to-face tutorial group (space permitting). For students participating in online tutorial groups, this unit involves online sessions in real time using the Virtual Room in your UCLearn teaching site. You are expected to have a functional microphone and camera (and to use them during the tutorial) so that you can participate properly in each workshop. For more information and to test your computer, go to the Virtual Room in your UCLearn site and 'Join Course Room'. This will trigger a workshop to help familiarise you with the functionality of the virtual room.
Work placement, internships or practicums
- Semester 1, 2023, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (211701)
- Semester 2, 2022, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (207498)
- Semester 1, 2022, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (206243)
- Semester 2, 2021, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (204528)
- Semester 1, 2021, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (203960)
- Semester 2, 2020, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (195535)
- Semester 1, 2020, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (194156)
- Semester 2, 2019, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (184772)
- Semester 1, 2019, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (184771)
- Semester 2, 2018, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (183053)
- Semester 1, 2018, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (183052)