Professional Orientation (Government and Policy) (11012.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| Flexible
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Canberra School Of Politics, Economics And Society||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|| Band 1 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020)
Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Learning outcomesUpon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify the personal skills, capabilities and knowledge necessary to meet the work standards expected by government and policy disciplines in the workplace, and develop a personal and academic plan to achieve these;
2. Map out their academic and professional trajectories over the next five years in an ePortfolio;
3. Demonstrate their ability to recall and apply the professional and personal skills required in the fields of politics, economics, and sociology; and
4. Communicate how they can leverage their studies within the School of Government & Policy, specifically by identifying areas of growth in the above-mentioned fields, so that they can graduate ready to work, be competitive for that promotion, and/or enter into a higher degree.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - be self-aware
2. UC graduates are global citizens - think globally about issues in their profession
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - reflect on their own practice, updating and adapting their knowledge and skills for continual professional and academic development
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - evaluate and adopt new technology
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
2. UC graduates are global citizens - behave ethically and sustainably in their professional and personal lives
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||08 February 2021||Flexible||Dr Michael Depercy|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||02 August 2021||Flexible||Dr Jean-Paul Gagnon|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||07 February 2022||Flexible||Dr Michael Depercy|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||01 August 2022||Flexible||Dr Jean-Paul Gagnon|
There is no required text for this unit. Open source readings are provided via the Canvas site.
Students are expected to participate in the online tutorials. This unit is delivered in scheduled online mode and there are no resources available to assist students who are unable to attend the online tutorials as per the online tutorial timetable.
Required IT skills
This unit involves online meetings in real time using the Virtual Room in your UCLearn teaching site. The Virtual Room allows you to communicate in real time with your lecturer and other students. To participate verbally, rather than just typing, you will need a microphone. For best audio quality we recommend a microphone and speaker headset. For more information and to test your computer, go to the Virtual Room in your UCLearn site and 'Join Course Room'. This will trigger a tutorial to help familiarise you with the functionality of the virtual room.
Work placement, internships or practicums
Equivalent units9799 Foundations of Professional Planning, 11011 Professional Orientation (Business), 11010 Professional Orientation (Commerce) and 11507 Professional Orientation (Fundamentals).
- Semester 1, 2021, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (203960)
- Semester 2, 2020, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (195535)
- Semester 1, 2020, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (194156)
- Semester 2, 2019, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (184772)
- Semester 1, 2019, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (184771)
- Semester 2, 2018, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (183053)
- Semester 1, 2018, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (183052)