Psychology Across the Life-Span (10445.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| Flexible
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Health|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Discipline Of Psychology||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|| Band 1 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020)
Band 1 2021 (Pg Clinical Psychology)
Band 2 2021 (Prof Pathway Psychology-After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 2 2021 (Prof Pathway Psychology-Before 1 Jan 2021)
Band 2 2021 (Standard Course Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Band 4 2021 (Standard Course Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Describe the sequence of human development and the processes underlying it;
2. Discuss the major psychological developmental theories;
3. Reflect on the impact of context and culture on human development; and
4. Explain the interdependency across domains of human development.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
2. UC graduates are global citizens - think globally about issues in their profession
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - be self-aware
Corequisites11399 Understanding People and Behaviour
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||08 February 2021||Flexible||Dr Caroline Ng Tseung Wong Tak Wan|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||07 February 2022||Flexible||Dr Caroline Ng Tseung Wong Tak Wan|
Submission of assessment items
Extensions & Late submissions
The essay must be submitted electronically via Canvas by the due date/time to avoid late penalties. You are likely to encounter delays
when uploading the essay to Canvas. To allow time for a plagiarism checking report to be generated by URKUND, it is recommended
that you upload your essay at least 24-hours before the due date.
Plagiarism is a serious academic offence and may result in failure of the assessment and/or the unit. Students suspected of
plagiarising, intentionally or unintentionally, the work of other students, or copying material without acknoweldgement from journal
articles, textbooks, the internet, or any other sources, will be referred to the Associate Dean (Education) of the Faculty of Health who
will decide the penalty to be applied.
Return of Assignments
Students who return their assignments by the due date will receive their marked assignments at latest 3-weeks after submission, via Canvas.
Late assignments will be returned at a later date with reduced feedback.
Please read this information BEFORE contacting your unit convener for an extension.
1. Assignment extensions will only be granted in exceptional circumstances.
2. Students are expected to work on the assessment items throughout the teaching period. Early communication of problems is strongly advised. Students should assess early in the teaching period whether they have a reasonable likelihood of being able to complete the unit and should consider withdrawing by the census date, if required.
3. Requests will require documentary evidence (see below for information on acceptable documentation) and this must be submitted to the unit convener. An extension will not be granted on the grounds of academic or employment workload, for undocumented issues or for technical problems.
4. To request an extension, email the unit convener with "Extension request" in the subject line and include:
a. Which assessment item the extension is requested for (and which unit)
b. Length of extension requested
c. Reason for the extension request
d. Attached documentary evidence. Appropriate evidence includes the following:
A medical certificate signed by a registered medical, dental or health practitioner. The certificate must contain the registered
provider number,the duration of the student's incapacity to study, and the date of consultation.A death notice or other appropriate documentation for bereavement.
5. The unit convener will consider your request, determine the length of the extension to be granted and email you advising whether
your request is approved or declined. If approved, the new due date will also appear on your Canvas site where your assignment is
6. Penalties for late submission (without an approved extension) of assessed work will be applied. Marks will be deducted at the rate of 5% of the value of the assessment item per day it is overdue (including weekends). For example, if an assignment is worth 35 marks, 1.75 marks will be deducted each late day. Submissions received more than 7 days after the prescribed date and time will not be accepted for marking, a mark of zero (0) will be awarded for the item.
7. Assignments submitted after the due date, regardless of whether an extension was granted, will be returned at a later date than those submitted on time.
8. Assignment submissions will not be accepted once the university examination period has commenced unless an extension has been granted in writing before the end of the teaching period. Such extensions will be granted only in exceptional circumstances.
Students are expected to participate in online lectures or view the lecture recordings. Although not compulsory, tutorial attendance (either face-to-face
or online) is strongly recommended for successful completion of the unit. Recordings of lectures will be made available on
Required IT skills
It is expected that all students will have basic word processing skills and be able to perform literature searches using databases. If
you are unfamiliar with searching specialist databases for accessing psychology journals please see the UC Library site for details of
The retail price of the print textbook is $149.95; e-book available for $64.95 with a 5-year access.
Work placement, internships or practicums