Foundations of Anatomy and Physiology (10298.2)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| On-Campus
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Health|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Discipline Of Sport And Exercise Science||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 3 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Appropriately utilise anatomical and physiological terms;
2. Recognise and describe the function of the following body systems: cells, connective tissue, bone tissue, muscle tissue, nervous, gastrointestinal, immune, cardiovascular, respiratory, urinary, endocrine, integumentary, and reproductive systems;
3. Identify the cells, tissues and organs involved in the body systems presented within this unit; and
4. Integrate their knowledge of the anatomical and physiological systems presented throughout the unit to:
a) provide a thorough understanding of homeostatic control and
b) be able to demonstrate the overlapping nature and complexity of the human body.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - adapt to complexity, ambiguity and change by being flexible and keen to engage with new ideas
- Students who have passed 9808 Regional Anatomy and Physiology AND/OR 6529 Systemic Anatomy and Physiology may not undertake this unit.
Equivalent unitsAnatomy and Physiology for Nurses, 9042.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||08 February 2021||On-Campus||Dr Disa Pryor|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||02 August 2021||On-Campus||Ms Erin Kelly|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||07 February 2022||On-Campus||Ms Erin Kelly|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||01 August 2022||On-Campus||Ms Erin Kelly|
Suggested Textbook: Tortora & Derrickson, Introduction to the Human Body, 11th Australia and New Zealand Edition, Wiley
The printed textbook and e-text can be purchased from https://www.wileydirect.com.au/buy/introduction-to-the-human-body-11th-australia-new-zealand-edition/
Submission of assessment items
Use of text matching software
To apply for extensions or deferrals students must complete the appropriate form (available on Canvas) and upload it to the correct dropbox with the supporting documentation. Students are to then check the drop box. Submission marked "completed" are deemed to be approved.
Engaging in theory material is expected through listening/watching the online recordings. Material may be presented as short videos or prerecorded lectures. Students will also be provided with associated theory/lecture notes
Laboratory attendance is expected. Non-attendance at laboratory classes is likely to diminish a student's ability to meet unit learning objectives, and will likely impair assessment performance. Laboratory attendance records will be kept and can be used as evidence of individual student engagement with the unit.
It is expected that students will work through the online component of this course in a timely fashion.
Required IT skills
It is expected that students will possess UC IT entry skills. Students are expected to use the Canvas site for this unit to access all of the required materials and to complete the online assessments.
Work placement, internships or practicums
Students will be required to complete a laboratory induction prior to the commencement of the on-campus laboratory classes. Students are expected to follow laboratory rules outlined in the Laboratory Induction document at all times. Failure to do so will result in exclusion from the laboratory.
- Semester 2, 2021, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (201728)
- Semester 1, 2021, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (200801)
- Semester 2, 2020, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (195499)
- Semester 1, 2020, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (194013)
- Semester 2, 2019, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (191978)
- Semester 1, 2019, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (191855)