Foundation Computing 1 (10128.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| On-Campus
|| UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|University Of Canberra College||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 3 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
- Occupational Health and Safety including equipment adjustment, work habits, and external environment;
- Using the Internet and email in an academic environment;
- Using a learning management system (i.e. Moodle);
- Word processing file management, editing, viewing and printing; and
- In a presentation package file management, designing, editing, presenting and printing.
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Understand and apply the concepts of OH&S in the use of technology;
2. Develop a basic knowledge of and skills in using the Internet, Moodle, Email, Mahara and internet browsers;
3. Apply basic knowledge of and skills in using a word processor to produce simple documents with correct grammar and formatting; and
4. Demonstrate a basic knowledge of and skills in using a presentation package to produce a basic presentation.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
2. UC graduates are global citizens - make creative use of technology in their learning and professional lives
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - evaluate and adopt new technology
CorequisitesMust be enrolled in University of Canberra International Foundation Studies, 100CC.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2022||UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce||UC College Trimester 1||21 February 2022||On-Campus||Ms Carol Drew|
|2022||UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce||UC College Trimester 2||20 June 2022||On-Campus||Ms Carol Drew|
None (Workbooks will be provided on Canvas)
Submission of assessment items
Special assessment requirements
To pass this unit, you MUST:
- Attempt all the assessment items and
- Achieve overall 50% or above combined from all the assessments items
Students have a responsibility to uphold University standards on ethical scholarship. Good scholarship involves building on the work of others and use of others' work must be acknowledged with proper attribution made. Cheating, plagiarism, and falsification of data are dishonest practices that contravene academic values. Refer to the University's Student Charter for more information.
To enhance understanding of academic integrity, all students are expected to complete the Academic Integrity Module (AIM) at least once during their course of study. You can access this module within UCLearn (Canvas) through the 'Academic Integrity and Avoiding Plagiarism' link in the Study Help site.
Use of Text-Matching Software
The University of Canberra uses text-matching software to help students and staff reduce plagiarism and improve understanding of academic integrity. The software matches submitted text in student assignments against material from various sources: the internet, published books and journals, and previously submitted student texts.
The amount of time you will need to spend on study in this unit will depend on a number of factors including your prior knowledge, learning skill level and learning style. Nevertheless, in planning your time commitments you should note that for one unit the total notional workload including time spent in class is assumed to be ten (10) hours a week.
Students are expected to attend all classes. As a guideline students with less than 80% attendance are placing their studies at risk as they will find it difficult to keep up with the workload.
Required IT skills
This unit is a beginning level course intended to build IT skills.
Work placement, internships or practicums
- UC College Trimester 2, 2021, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (201360)
- UC College Trimester 1, 2021, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (201003)
- UC College Trimester 2, 2020, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (195051)
- UC College Trimester 1, 2020, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (194476)
- UC College Trimester 2, 2019, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (189757)
- UC College Trimester 1, 2019, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (189725)
- UC College Trimester 1, 2018, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (180479)
- UC College Trimester 1, 2017, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (162858)
- UC College Trimester 2, 2016, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (162856)