Current Issues in Society (10126.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| On-Campus
|| UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|University Of Canberra College||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|| Band 1 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020)
Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
2. UC graduates are global citizens - think globally about issues in their profession
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - be self-aware
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
2. UC graduates are global citizens - behave ethically and sustainably in their professional and personal lives
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
2. UC graduates are global citizens - adopt an informed and balanced approach across professional and international boundaries
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2021||UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce||UC College Trimester 1||22 February 2021||On-Campus||Ms Carol Drew|
|2021||UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce||UC College Trimester 3||18 October 2021||On-Campus||Ms Carol Drew|
|2022||UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce||UC College Trimester 1||21 February 2022||On-Campus||Ms Carol Drew|
|2022||UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce||UC College Trimester 3||17 October 2022||On-Campus||Ms Carol Drew|
Readings are available on the Canvas site. Students are required to complete weekly readings prior to the first class each week to enable them to participate in discussions and activities. Students must also take notes on readings they find themselves and hand these along with the article they have chosen as a paper copy at the beginning of the firt workshop as per the unit outline. The notes must also be submitted to Canvas.
Submission of assessment items
Extensions & Late submissions
All assignments are required to be submitted by the due date. If, for any reason, you are unable to do an assignment by the due date you must submit, to the lecturer, a request for an extension in writing before the due date (except in special cases considered reasonable to the lecturer). The request must set out, in detail, the genuine and exceptional reason for requesting the extension. If there is a medical reason for the extension request it must be accompanied by a medical certificate (see below).
Medical certificates. Your medical certificate must clearly state:
- That you were unfit to complete the assignment;
- The date of the medical consultation;
- The period during which you were/are/will be unfit; and
- The severity of your illness.
As an integral part of the learning theory that underpins this unit, students may be asked to re-submit their written assignments if the lecturer and /or tutor decide that the quality of work submitted is not at a reasonable standard that would, as a minimum, gain a Pass level grade. This request will be given in close consultation with the student. Note that a re-submitted assignment can only get a Pass or Fail.
Students are required to attend all classes in order to enhance their engagement in the unit content. There is a strong correlation between participating through attendance and being involved in-class activities and passing the unit.
Required IT skills
You are expected to have the IT skills specified in the Handbook for admission to the course, to be interested to use IT in work and learning and have access to the internet.
Work placement, internships or practicums
- UC College Trimester 1, 2021, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (201001)
- UC College Trimester 3, 2020, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (196980)
- UC College Trimester 3, 2019, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (189789)
- UC College Trimester 1, 2019, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (189723)