Global Health (10008.2)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| Flexible
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Health|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Discipline Of Public Health||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|| Band 2 2013-2020 (Expires 31 Dec 2020)
Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 3 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Understand key concepts, metrics, measurement techniques, and frameworks used in examining global health issues;
2. Understand the distribution of health and disability around the world including emerging global health threats;
3. Understand impact of globalization, population dynamics and climate change on global public health and the linkages between global and local health issues;
4. Understand major global initiatives for disease prevention and health promotion and analyse the roles and agendas of major players in global health; and
5. Understand ethical and human rights concerns in global health.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
2. UC graduates are global citizens - adopt an informed and balanced approach across professional and international boundaries
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
2. UC graduates are global citizens - think globally about issues in their profession
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - reflect on their own practice, updating and adapting their knowledge and skills for continual professional and academic development
Assumed knowledgeBasic statistics.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||02 August 2021||Flexible||Prof Shawn Somerset|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||01 August 2022||Flexible||Prof Shawn Somerset|
The following is the recommended text for the unit:
Jacobsen, K. 2019. Introduction to Global Health 3rd ed, Jones and Bartlett Publishers: Burlington MA, USA
Submission of assessment items
Extensions & Late submissions
All assignments should be submitted through Canvas. To ensure academic integrity all submissions will be subjected to text matching software, known as URKUND. Students are expected to familiarise themselves with URKUND and how to self-check and submit their assignments using the URKUND platform. In this unit, written assignments submitted only through this system will be assessed.
For additional information on the text matching software visit: http://learnonline.canberra.edu.au/mod/book/tool/print/index.php?id=629001
In view of the restrictions due to COVID-19, unit delivery has been modified to enable students to complete the unit remotely. It is recommended that students attend the online, real-time, timetabled sessions where possible.
Successful completion requires full understanding and familiarity with the reading materials and resources offered as part of the Unit.
Required IT skills
No field work is required
Work placement, internships or practicums