Defer your offer
We understand that sometimes things can happen that mean your university study has to take a back seat for a while. By deferring your offer, you can hold off on studying while securing your place in the course.
You can defer your offer if you are a domestic student who:
- Hasn't accepted their offer yet; or
- Has already accepted their offer but hasn't enrolled in any units yet
Deferrals are normally for one year and an offer can only be deferred once.
Offers for all courses listed below cannot currently be deferred.
- 223ZA Bachelor of Applied Science (Honours)
- 298JA Bachelor of Arts and Design (Honours)
- 355JA Bachelor of Landscape Architecture (Honours)
- HLH201 Bachelor of Health Science (Honours)
- 677AA Bachelor of Philosophy (Honours)
- 769AA Bachelor of Science in Psychology (Honours)
- 866AA Honours in Information Sciences
- HLC001 Graduate Certificate in Midwifery (Re-entry)
- EDC301 Graduate Certificate in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching (FLT)
- EDG301 Graduate Diploma in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching (FLT)
- 913AA Master of Architecture
- EDM301 Master of Arts in TESOL and Foreign Language Teaching
- 924AA Master of Education
- HLM001 Master of Midwifery Practice
- 374JA Master of Optometry
- EDM001 Master of Primary Teaching
- EDM101 Master of Secondary Teaching
- EDM301 Master of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) & Foreign Language Teaching (FLT)
- 260JA Postgraduate Diploma in Nursing
- 342JA Graduate Diploma in Counselling
- 361JA Graduate Diploma in Medical Ultrasound
- 742AA Master of Clinical Psychology
- 341JA Master of Counselling
- 354JA Master of Engineering
- 973AA Master of Information Technology and Systems
- 772AA Master of Nutrition and Dietetics
- 132JA Master of Occupational Therapy
- 767AA Master of Pharmacy
- 768AA Master of Physiotherapy
- 371JA Master of Speech Pathology
If you have already accepted your offer and enrolled in units, or if you have already studied for at least one semester, you can request an intermission, which is an approved leave of absence from your study. To apply for an intermission please complete the Apply to Discontinue or Intermit from a Course form through MyUC.
You can apply to defer via the University of Canberra application portal. Simply log into your account and respond to your offer by selecting the ‘defer’ option and selecting the intake you would like to defer to.
If you have already accepted your offer, but have not yet enrolled in any units, please email the Admissions Office to request a deferral. Please specify your full name, application number and how long you would like to defer for.
Once your deferral has been processed, we will send you a new offer letter, which you will need to accept.
Please note that during our peak periods of January/February and July/August of each year, there will be a delay in the processing time of your deferral.
There is no cost for deferring your offer.