Student Safety - Sydney
When you are out and about, particularly at night, it is important to be alert and aware of your personal safety. In particular:
- Think ahead: consider how you are going to get home (e.g. taxi, friend, etc).
- Try to remain with friends at all times.
- If you are going somewhere alone, ensure some is aware of your movements.
- Make sure you carry your mobile phone at all times in case of emergencies.
- Be wary of casual requests from strangers, like someone asking for a cigarette or money - they could have ulterior motives.
- Try not to carry your wallet or valuables in a way that might attract the attention of others.
- Be alert to your surroundings and the people around you, especially if you are alone or it is dark.
- Stay in well-lit areas as much as possible.
- Walk confidently and at a steady pace.
- Make eye contact with people when walking - let them know that you have noticed their presence.
- Do not respond to conversation from strangers on the street or in a car - continue walking.
- When going to your car or home, have your keys in your hand and easily accessible.
- Consider carrying a personal attack alarm.
- Ensure that key contact information such as police and security are either in your mobile phone or in your purse/wallet.