Cheah, Mr. Shaun
Program Director (Communication & Media)
Discipline Lead - Bachelor of Communication & Media (MMktComms)
Faculty of Arts & Design
Bldg, Floor & Room: 9, B33
Telephone: (02) 6201 2057
Facsimile: (02) 6201 2630
Dr. Cheah was in the corporate sector prior to joining the University of Canberra. He began his career in global advertising agency Leo Burnett (in 1989), based in their world headquarters (in Chicago). Here he was placed on the McDonald’s International Division, and was in a team which managed their global branding (and communication) campaigns. Thereafter he went on to manage other brands in the Asia-Pacific region (i.e. Visa International, Shell, KFC, Nestle, Citibank, Jaguar and Mercedes-Benz), the latter 2 as Regional Group Brand Director. He spent 14 years in the corporate world while his current career in academia spans 15 years (and counting). Dr. Cheah currently holds a Bachelor’s and Masters in Marketing Communication, and a PhD in Economics.
Areas of Teaching
Dr. Cheah convenes several undergraduate and post-graduate units in the Communication & Media program.
Dr. Cheah's research interests are in the area of social capital in the realm of inter-firm relationships and sponsorship marketing.
- Bachelor of Science in Journalism (Advertising) - University of Kansas, USA
- Bachelor of Marketing - McDonald’s HM University, USA
- Masters of Marketing Communication - University of Canberra, Australia
- PhD (Economics) - University of Canberra, Australia
Full written papers (Refereed)
- Burell A., Coe M. & Cheah, S. (2007) "Making an entrance: The First Two Minutes Can Make or Break a Lecture". ANZMAC Conference – University of Otago, Dunedin, New Zealand 3-5 Dec 2007. (Double-blind review)
- Quazi, A. & Cheah, S. (2010) "An exploration of the drivers and impact of Indian Premier League on sports marketing", Asia Pacific International Conference On Changing Business Practices in Current Scenario. 29th - 30th December, 2010. SIESCOMS – University of Mumbai, Mumbai India. (Double blind review)