Introduction to Health (9829.2)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| Flexible
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Health|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Discipline Of Public Health||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 3 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesOn the successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
1. Assess and appraise different aspects of health, health services and the health workforce both within Australia and globally;
2. Examine theories of health and healthcare relevant to a diversity of health activities and professional practice; and
3. Compare and evaluate individual, population and global contexts of health.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
2. UC graduates are global citizens - think globally about issues in their profession
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - reflect on their own practice, updating and adapting their knowledge and skills for continual professional and academic development
As we share our own knowledge, teaching, learning, and research practices within this University may we also pay respect to the knowledge and traditions of the Ngunnawal peoples.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2023||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||06 February 2023||Flexible||Dr Ro McFarlane|
|2024||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||05 February 2024||Flexible||Dr Ro McFarlane|
These books are recommended reading only
Keleher, H., & MacDougall, C. (2022). Understanding health (No. Ed. 5). Oxford University Press. Available as an ebook
Liamputtong, P (2019) Social Determinants of Health Oxford University Press Available as an ebook
Other recommended readings are also provided on the canvas sites or held by the Library on short term loan
Student participation in both lecture and tutorial activities will enhance understanding of the unit content and the quality of assessment responses. Lack of participation may compromise the ability to satisfactorily pass assessment items. Student participation in all aspects of this unit is vital to this unit as is professionalism, maturity in the workplace and respect for colleagues/peers.
Required IT skills
General IT skills.
You will require computer skills to access the internet and be able to upload to the ‘Canvas' university site submissions using ‘word'
and PowerPoint formats. This unit may involve online meetings in real-time using a virtual room. To participate verbally, rather than
just typing, you will need a microphone. For best audio quality we recommend a microphone and speaker headset. For more
information and to test your computer, please visit the UCLearn Student Help link.
Work placement, internships or practicums
- Semester 1, 2023, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (212466)
- Semester 1, 2022, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (206944)
- Semester 1, 2021, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (200677)
- Semester 1, 2020, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (193494)
- Semester 1, 2019, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (188631)
- Semester 1, 2018, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (176170)