Advanced Management (9537.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Management||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|| Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Band 5 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Define strategy, discuss the participants in the strategic management process, and analyse various types of industry structures;
2. Select and apply appropriate strategic management tools to diagnose internal and external factors facing organisations;
3. Define and classify types of competitive advantage and explain associated best practices for creating and maintaining advantages;
4. Explain the most commonly used corporate strategies and analyse alternatives for creating long term value;
5. Apply modern strategic management techniques and choose the best alternatives in the face of rapidly changing technology; and
6. Synthesize strategic management theory and concepts to explain competitive advantage in the era of globalisation.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
2. UC graduates are global citizens - adopt an informed and balanced approach across professional and international boundaries
2. UC graduates are global citizens - behave ethically and sustainably in their professional and personal lives
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
As this is the capstone unit for this degree all Graduate Attributes will be applied.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
(1) Main text - Rothaermel F T (2013) Strategic Management, Concepts and Cases, McGraw-Hill. This textbook I had full set of Instructor Manual and Powerpoints.
(2) Supplementary text - Johnson G & Scholes K (2008) Exploring Corporate Strategy, 8th edition, Prentice Hall. I would make use of this text to supplement theories and case studies.
As this is a capsotne unit with a group project, please ensure workload is spread evenly thoughout the group.
Inclusion and engagement
See Moodle site for further details
Attendance to all classes is benefical.
Required IT skills
Assessment costs only
Work placement, internships or practicums
- 7371 Strategic Management