Principles of Finance (9520.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Information Systems & Accounting||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|| Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Band 5 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Explain the objectives of the financial managers and how the structure of a corporation affects financial decisions;
2. Explain how the financial manager uses and analyses the income statement, the balance sheet statement, and the statement of cash flows to make better informed decisions;
3. Explain the concept of time value of money and how the present value calculation is related to the future value calculation;
4. Explain the different components of a company's capital structure;
5. Apply the WACC formula for estimating a company's cost of capital;
6. Explain the use of the CAPM model for estimating valuations of a company's rate of return; and
7. Use a spread sheet program to prepare an analysis of a company's financial statements and stock data.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - adapt to complexity, ambiguity and change by being flexible and keen to engage with new ideas
2. UC graduates are global citizens - behave ethically and sustainably in their professional and personal lives
Incompatible units6392 Business Finance
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
This unit utilises a text book on managerial accounting at no cost to student in pdf format via the links below and are available under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 License which allows them to be freely distributed.
Unfortunately these texts are not available in print form at this time. You may print out sections for personal use but please consider the environment before you print.
The textbook could be downloaded through the following URL:
http://book.ivo-welch.info/ed3/ - click on the "read the book online free" link at the top of the second paragraph
Readings will be uploaded for you on e-reserve, accessible via Moodle
Required IT skills
Please become familiar with on-line learning via Moodle and the library databases and E-Journals as soon as possible. You will need to be familiar with these resources to prepare for your assessment items.