Cardio-Pulmonary Conditions and Rehabilitation (9381.2)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| On-Campus
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Health|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Discipline Of Sport And Exercise Science||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 3 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesOn completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of the pathophysiology of common cardiovascular and pulmonary disorders;
2. Describe the general principles of pharmacology and the effects that common cardiac and pulmonary medications have on heart rate, blood pressure and exercise responses; and
3. Demonstrate an understanding of the appropriate selection, safe implementation and delivery of appropriate assessments and exercise based rehabilitation interventions for cardiovascular/pulmonary disorders.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
Prerequisites6839 Sports Medicine AND 8279 Advanced Functional Anatomy.
CorequisitesEnrolment in the Bachelor of Exercise Physiology & Rehabilitation, 266JA.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2023||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||06 February 2023||On-Campus||Prof Stuart Semple|
|2024||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||05 February 2024||On-Campus||Prof Stuart Semple|
Clinical Exercise Physiology, 5th Edition 2023, Erhman, Gordon, Visich & Keteyian. Human Kinetics.
Rapid Interpretation of EKGs, 6th Edition, Dale Dubin, COVER Publishing Company.
This unit is relatively content heavy and so students are strongly encouraged to engage from day 1 with the content, attend all tutorials and schedule appropriate practice sessions to run through the stress test protocol.
Inclusion and engagement
Students are expected to attend all lectures and practical/tutorial sessions. It is expected that students unable to fulfil these participation requirements will inform the Unit Convenor as soon as practical, by telephone or email.
Required IT skills
Students should be conversant with searching for and accessing information via electronic means; the use of Canvas; and word processing, spreadsheet and presentation software
Work placement, internships or practicums
This unit does NOT contain any Work Integrated Learning (WIL) activities.
- Semester 1, 2023, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (212294)
- Semester 1, 2022, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (206865)
- Semester 1, 2021, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (200588)
- Semester 1, 2020, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (193212)
- Semester 1, 2019, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (189176)
- Semester 1, 2018, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (179928)
- Semester 1, 2017, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (164051)
- Semester 1, 2016, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (154591)
- Semester 1, 2015, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (148046)