Marketing Principles (9159.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Management||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|| Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Band 5 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesOn completion of this unit students will be able to:
1 demonstrate an understanding of marketing and how it is managed within the Australian business environment;
2. segment the market, identify target markets and develop positioning strategies;
3. evaluate the significance of each component of the marketing mix and their inter-relationships;
4. determine the marketing mix for specific markets;
5. monitor and adjust the marketing mix;
6. assess how marketing can make a contribution to organisational success.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
2. UC graduates are global citizens - behave ethically and sustainably in their professional and personal lives
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - adapt to complexity, ambiguity and change by being flexible and keen to engage with new ideas
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
Lists of required texts/readings
· Belch, G., Belch, M., Kerr, G., Powell, I. (2009), Advertising and Promotion. McGraw-Hill, Sydney.
· Chitty, W., Barker, N., Valos, M., and Shimp, T. A., (2012), Integrated Marketing Communications: Third Asia_Pacific Edition, 3rd edn, Cengage Learning, Melbourne.
· Kotler, P., Brown, L., Burton, S., Deans, K., & Armstrong, G. (2010), Marketing, 8th ed., Pearson Education Australia Pty Ltd, Sydney, NSW.
· Quester, P. G., McGuiggan, R. L., McCarthy, E. J. and Perrault Jr., W. D. (2009), Marketing: Creating and Delivering Value, 6th edn, McGraw-Hill, Sydney.
· Quester, P., Neal, C., Pettigrew, S., Grimmer, M., Davis, T., & Hawkins, D., (2007), Consumer Behaviour, Implications for Marketing Strategy (5th ed.), McGraw-Hill, Sydney.
· Reed, P., (2015), Strategic Marketing: Decision Making and Planning, 4th edn, Cengage Learning, Melbourne.
· Schiffman, O'cass, Paladino, Carlson, (2013), Consumer Behaviour 6e, Pearson Education Australia Pty Ltd, Sydney.
· Solomon, M., Hughes, A., Chitty, B., Marshall, G. W., Stuart, E. W., (2013), Marketing: real people, real choices, 3rd edn, Pearson Education Australia Pty Ltd, Sydney.
· Zikmund, Ward, Lowe, Winzar, Babin, (2011), Marketing Research, Asia Pacific Edition, Cengage Learning, Melbourne.
- Additional useful references include the marketing academic journals i.e.
Journal of Marketing
Journal of Marketing Research
Journal of Consumer Research
Journal of Advertising
Journal of Advertising Research
Journal of Services Marketing