Global Design Strategy (8604.6)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Arts And Design|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Design And The Built Environment||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
PLEASE NOTE: The Winter Term offering of this unit is only available for students attending the field trip abroad.
Learning outcomesOn completion of this unit. students will be able to:
1. Analyse and interpret an internationally relevant brief;
2. Apply in-depth research and analysis strategies to a global audience;
3. Integrate typography and visual images in industry relevant applications; and
4. Communicate appropriately with clarity and visual impact, an innovative and creative idea.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
2. UC graduates are global citizens - adopt an informed and balanced approach across professional and international boundaries
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
2. UC graduates are global citizens - behave ethically and sustainably in their professional and personal lives
PrerequisitesCompletion of 36cp.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
Graphic Design Suggested Texts:
Malamed, Connie (2009) Visual Language for Designers, Mass: Rockport.
Peterson, L.K. and Cullen, Cheryl (2000) Global Graphic: Colour, Mass: Rockport.
Barnard, Malcolm (2005) Graphic Design as Communication, New York: Routledge
Eskilson, Stephen (2007) Graphic Design: A New History, London: Laurence King
‘Examining the visual culture of corporate identity,' (2003) IdN Special Volume 3, Hong Kong : Systems Design Ltd.
Lupon, Ellen & Phillips, Jennifer (2008) Graphic design: the new basics New York: Princeton Architectural Press.
Presler, Emma (2008) Fresh Dialogue Eight : New Voices in Graphic Design : Designing Audiences New York : Princeton Architectural ; American Institute of Graphic Arts.
Newark, Quentin (2007) What is Graphic Design? Mies, Switzerland : RotoVision SA
Inclusion and engagement
Students who attend campus for class or other purposes must play their part in keeping our campus and community safe by following these basic guidelines to reduce the risk of COVID-19 transmission:
- Practise good hand hygiene, washing hands regularly;
- If you do happen to cough or sneeze, please do so into the crook of your elbow, dispose of tissues immediately and wash hands immediately
- Practise effective physical distancing;
- Follow all directions of teaching and other UC staff regarding safety measures;
- Stay off campus if you are unwell and get tested according to Queensland Government guidelines, and
- Follow TAFE Queensland communications for current health and campus advice https://tafeqld.edu.au/current-students/health-advice.html?
Required IT skills
Students should have knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite, or similar programs.
Work placement, internships or practicums
No extensions- all deadlines to be met. Deadlines are important to uphold in the industry and Graphic Designers must come to terms with them. If you missed a deadline/s and now have completed that work, submit and label ‘missed deadline'. Late submissions will attract a penalty of 5% per day with a weekend counting as one day. If you missed the deadline due to illness or extenuating circumstance; please submit with a doctor's or counselling note valid for the period of time specified. All extensions need to be discussed and agreed with your Unit Convener before the submission deadlines.