Managing Financial Services Firms (6412.7)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Information Systems & Accounting||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|| Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Band 5 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesStudents who successfully complete this unit will be able to:
1. Explain the risk management and related strategic issues faced by managers of financial services firms;
2. Measure various types of financial risks such as interest rate risk, operational risk, liquidity risk, off balance sheet risk, market risk faced by financial services firms;
3. Evaluate the impact of above types of risk on the net worth of firms;
4. Analyse and evaluate appropriate risk management techniques including asset and liability management, and financial engineering products; and
5. Describe the impact of regulatory standards on risk management of financial services firms.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
2. UC graduates are global citizens - make creative use of technology in their learning and professional lives
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - evaluate and adopt new technology
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - adapt to complexity, ambiguity and change by being flexible and keen to engage with new ideas
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - reflect on their own practice, updating and adapting their knowledge and skills for continual professional and academic development
PrerequisitesMust have completed 6392 Business Finance OR 6386 Financial Institutions and Markets OR 9520 Principles of Finance
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
Lange, Helen; Saunders, Anthony; Cornett, Marcia Millon, 2015, Financial Institutions Management, 4th Edition, McGraw Hill, Sydney, Australia. The book is available at the Co-Op. bookstore.
Submission of assessment items
Special assessment requirements
You will obtain a pass or better in this unit if you submit each assessment item, and achieve at least 50 per cent of the total marks for the final examination and obtain a final cumulative mark of at least 50 per cent.
Attendance at classes is not compulsory unless it is a condition of your visa.
Required IT skills
Use of calculators, computer, web searching skills and familiarity with excel spreadsheet modelling is required.
Work placement, internships or practicums