Writing Dramatic Screenplays G (11890.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| Online
| Bruce, Canberra
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Arts And Design|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Arts And Communications||Graduate Level|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Learning outcomesOn successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Interpret and evaluate diverse screenplays in terms of purpose, genre and literary style;
2. Creatively apply and adhere to contemporary screenwriting principles and formatting conventions;
3. Deconstruct screen drama and translate into market-oriented screenplay format and style;
4. Write, edit and polish an original speculative screenplay, meeting industry expectations in term of genre and style; and
5. Pitch work confidently to targeted industry stakeholders and receive constructive feedback.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
2. UC graduates are global citizens - make creative use of technology in their learning and professional lives
2. UC graduates are global citizens - behave ethically and sustainably in their professional and personal lives
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - evaluate and adopt new technology
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2023||Bruce, Canberra||Semester 2||31 July 2023||Online||Dr Denise Thwaites|
|2023||Bruce, Canberra||Semester 2||31 July 2023||On-Campus||Dr Denise Thwaites|
|2024||Bruce, Canberra||Semester 2||29 July 2024||Online||Dr Denise Thwaites|
|2024||Bruce, Canberra||Semester 2||29 July 2024||On-Campus||Dr Denise Thwaites|
Trottier, D. (2021). The Screenwriter's Bible: A Complete Guide to Writing, Formatting, and Selling Your Script (7th ed.). Silman-James Press.
Mazin, C. (Writer). (2019). Chernobyl [Television series episode]. In J. Renck (Director), Open Wide, O Earth [Season 1, Episode 1]. Home Box Office (HBO)
To achieve the unit learning objectives, students are expected to participate in all aspects of teaching activities, as well as self-directed learning in the form of research and engagement with unit learning resources.
Required IT skills
This unit requires students to have existing skills in video-conferencing and the Microsoft Office suite (or equivalent). This unit will also introduce students to industry standard software for screenwriting. If students experience challenges using these tools, they are encouraged to discuss the matter with their unit convener as soon as possible.
Students will be required to purchase the aforementioned required texts and software.
Work placement, internships or practicums