Design Thinking and User Centered Design (11656.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| On-Campus
| Bruce, Canberra
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Arts And Design|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Design And The Built Environment||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesAfter successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Recognise the iterative design process, basic design thinking and research techniques;
2. Apply design research, thinking methods, in the creation of innovative design solutions for real-world problems; and
3. Critique and apply presentation techniques for communicating design intent to stake holders.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
2. UC graduates are global citizens - adopt an informed and balanced approach across professional and international boundaries
2. UC graduates are global citizens - behave ethically and sustainably in their professional and personal lives
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
2. UC graduates are global citizens - make creative use of technology in their learning and professional lives
2. UC graduates are global citizens - think globally about issues in their profession
2. UC graduates are global citizens - understand issues in their profession from the perspective of other cultures
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - adapt to complexity, ambiguity and change by being flexible and keen to engage with new ideas
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - be self-aware
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - evaluate and adopt new technology
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - reflect on their own practice, updating and adapting their knowledge and skills for continual professional and academic development
Equivalent units11042 Introduction to Design Thinking Techniques.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2023||Bruce, Canberra||Winter Term||30 May 2023||On-Campus||Dr Ben Ennis-Butler|
|2023||Bruce, Canberra||Semester 2||31 July 2023||On-Campus||Dr Raghavendra Gudur|
|2024||Bruce, Canberra||Winter Term||27 May 2024||On-Campus||Dr Ben Ennis-Butler|
|2024||Bruce, Canberra||Semester 2||29 July 2024||Online||Dr Raghavendra Gudur|
|2024||Bruce, Canberra||Semester 2||29 July 2024||On-Campus||Dr Raghavendra Gudur|
A detailed list of offline and online content will be published within the unit's Canvas site.
The tutorials/workshops follow a design studio structure, where formative feedback is given on assessment items; therefore, attendance within the tutorial times is crucial to succeeding in this unit.
IMPORTANT: It is the student's responsibility to seek formative feedback for their assignments before submission. A tutorial slot will be catered to provide constructive feedback on assignments before submission to help improve their grade. The summative feedback on Canvas will be based on the assessment rubrics template only.
Required IT skills
Students require an intermediate understanding of standard operating systems (windows or mac IOS), word processing software as well as some design layout software to succeed in this unit.
Work placement, internships or practicums
- Semester 2, 2023, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (213562)
- Winter Term, 2023, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (215362)
- Semester 2, 2022, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (208458)
- Winter Term, 2022, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (205177)
- Semester 2, 2021, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (203491)
- Winter Term, 2021, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (203490)