Law, Innovation and Technologies PG (11471.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| Flexible
| Bruce, Canberra
UC - Canberra, Online
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Canberra Law School||Post Graduate Level|| Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Band 5 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesAfter successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Apply and critically analyse legal processes to understand law reform and regulation in the context of technology and society;
2. Create and evaluate arguments demonstrating the operation of existing legal frameworks, and arguing for reform using advanced communication skills; and
3. Evaluate and contextualise the impact of technologies on society and law's role in moderating or mediating technological disruption.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
2. UC graduates are global citizens - make creative use of technology in their learning and professional lives
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - be self-aware
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - evaluate and adopt new technology
Prerequisites11751 Legal Methods and Skills G AND 11752 Legal Systems G
Incompatible units11271 Law, Innovation and Technologies
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2023||Bruce, Canberra||Semester 2||31 July 2023||Flexible||Dr Alison McLennan|
|2023||UC - Canberra, Online||Study Block 6||23 October 2023||Online||Ms Tess Rooney|
|2024||UC - Canberra, Online||Study Block 6||21 October 2024||Online||Ms Tess Rooney|
There is no recommended text book for this unit, however weekly readings and material will be provided via Canvas or pointed to in the lectures and tutorials. Students are encouraged to read widely and autonomously.
You are expected to:
Manage your academic progress and work to achieve the unit learning outcomes.
Be familiar with information relevant to your units and course including the Unit Outline, Canvas site and assignment instructions.
Participate actively and positively in the teaching-learning process and comply with the requirements of your course.
Treat all University staff and fellow students with respect and courtesy.
Please see the Student Charter for more information.
Lectures will be pre-recorded and typically made available online.
Attendance in tutorials (either online or face-to-face) is strongly recommended but not mandatory
Required IT skills
This unit involves online meetings in real time using the Virtual Room in your UCLearn teaching site. The Virtual Room allows you to communicate in real time with your lecturer and other students. To participate verbally, rather than just typing, you will need a microphone. For best audio quality we recommend a microphone and speaker headset. For more information and to test your computer, go to the Virtual Room in your UCLearn site and 'Join Course Room'. This will trigger a tutorial to help familiarise you with the functionality of the virtual room.
Work placement, internships or practicums
- Study Block 6, 2023, Online, UC - Canberra, Online (215505)
- Semester 2, 2023, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (214262)
- Semester 2, 2022, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (207596)
- Semester 2, 2021, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (204564)
- Semester 2, 2020, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (190706)
- Semester 2, 2019, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (191482)