Tourism and the World Economy (11324.2)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| On-Campus
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
UC - TAFE NSW Northern Sydney, St Leonard's
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Canberra Business School||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|| Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Band 5 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesAfter successful completion, students will be able to:
1. Analyse the effects of economic variables of special importance to tourism on the components of the tourism industry;
2. Explain how national and international economic events have an impact on the tourism industry and tourists behaviour; and
3. Apply the information in the Tourism Satellite Accounts to a tourism development project.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
2. UC graduates are global citizens - make creative use of technology in their learning and professional lives
2. UC graduates are global citizens - think globally about issues in their profession
2. UC graduates are global citizens - understand issues in their profession from the perspective of other cultures
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - adapt to complexity, ambiguity and change by being flexible and keen to engage with new ideas
Prerequisites11175 Introduction to Economics AND 11321 Introduction to Events and Tourism.
Equivalent units8052 Tourism and the World Economy
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2023||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||06 February 2023||On-Campus||Dr Tracey Dickson|
|2023||UC - TAFE NSW Northern Sydney, St Leonard's||Semester 1||06 February 2023||On-Campus||Dr Tracey Dickson|
Required Text Book:
Tribe, J. (2015). The economics of recreation, leisure and tourism (5th ed.). Milton Park: Routledge, OR
Tribe, J. (2020). The economics of recreation, leisure and tourism (6th ed.). London: Taylor & Francis.
These may also be available as e-books.
Reading the textbook and asnwering the review questions is expected, however, you may benefit from working on the questions together with your project group.
As this unit has a substantial real-world group project it is expected that you will organise time to regularly meet and work with your group over the semester. During the classes/workshops time will be allocated to provide feedback and guidance as you travel this learning journey together. The benefit you gain from this feedback will reflect, in part, the work you have done together prior to class.
Students are expected to attend the classes/workshops and to have completed the required activities before in order to participate in, and contribute to, in-class discussions about your project.
Should you not be able to attend, notify your group memebers who may be able to live stream you into any group discussions,
Required IT skills
This unit involves extensive use of the internet for researching, including library research.
Work placement, internships or practicums
This unit inlcudes a semester-long WIL Project where you will apply Problem Based Learning to a real world scenario.
- Semester 1, 2023, On-Campus, UC - TAFE NSW Northern Sydney, St Leonard's (213134)
- Semester 1, 2023, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (213133)
- Semester 1, 2022, On-Campus, UC - TAFE NSW Northern Sydney, St Leonard's (206132)
- Semester 1, 2022, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (206131)
- Semester 1, 2021, On-Campus, UC - TAFE NSW Northern Sydney, St Leonard's (202586)
- Semester 1, 2021, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (202585)
- Semester 1, 2020, On-Campus, UC - TAFE NSW Northern Sydney, St Leonard's (198135)
- Semester 1, 2020, On-Campus, UC - Canberra, Bruce (198134)