Lawyers and Professional Responsibility (11273.2)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| Flexible
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Canberra Law School||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|| Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Band 5 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesUpon successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Identify, describe and explain the importance of lawyers' obligations to the administration of justice, the Courts, clients, the profession and the community by reference to both the common law and rules of professional conduct;
2. Evaluate, reflect on and manage ethical dilemmas likely to arise in practice; and
3. Create a professional identity through an e-portfolio.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
2. UC graduates are global citizens - adopt an informed and balanced approach across professional and international boundaries
2. UC graduates are global citizens - behave ethically and sustainably in their professional and personal lives
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
Corequisites11251 Foundations of Law and Justice
Incompatible units11433 Lawyers and Professional Responsibility G
Equivalent units7043 Lawyers and Professional Responsibility
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||07 February 2022||Flexible||Mr Rob Reis|
- G E Dal Pont, Lawyers' Professional Responsibility (Law Book Co, 7th ed, 2021).
- Legal Profession Act 2006 (ACT)
- Legal Profession (Solicitors) Conduct Rules 2015
- Legal Profession (Barristers) Rules 2014 (ACT)
- Kim Bailey, Practical Legal Ethics (Law Book Co 2022)
- Peter Mcfarlane &Ysaiah Ross, Ethics, Professional Responsibility and Legal Practice, (LexisNexis, 1st edition 2017).
- Christine Parker & Adrian Evans, Inside Lawyer's Ethics (Cambridge University Press, 3rd edition 2018).
- Duncan Webb, Ethics, Professional Responsibility and the Lawyer (LexisNexis, 3rd edition, 2016).
- Ebejer, Marlene, Legal Practice and Ethics (LexisNexis Butterworths, 2nd edition, 2016).
- LIV Ethics: https://www.liv.asn.au/Professional-Practice/Ethics
Students are required to attend at least 4 of the tutorial assessment sessions to be eligible to pass this unit. If a student attends 3 or less tutorial assessments, they will not be eligible to attain a Pass grade in this unit.
Required IT skills
Nothing outside the normal university standard.
Work placement, internships or practicums