Reading Movies - A Practitioner's Guide (11140.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| On-Campus
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Arts And Design|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Arts And Communications||Level 2 - Undergraduate Intermediate Unit|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Learning outcomesAfter successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Demonstrate an understanding of film theory;
2. Analyse a film with reference to ideas of genre, theme, narrative, story and audience expectation; and
3. Contextualise film theory in terms of film practice.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
2. UC graduates are global citizens - make creative use of technology in their learning and professional lives
2. UC graduates are global citizens - behave ethically and sustainably in their professional and personal lives
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - reflect on their own practice, updating and adapting their knowledge and skills for continual professional and academic development
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - be self-aware
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - adapt to complexity, ambiguity and change by being flexible and keen to engage with new ideas
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - evaluate and adopt new technology
Corequisites11139 Short Film Production- Just Add Actors OR 11152 Literary Studies: The Novel.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||02 August 2021||On-Campus||Dr Tim Thomas|
|2022||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||01 August 2022||On-Campus||Dr Tim Thomas|
We recommend that students buy :
The latest edition of Corrigan, Timothy, and Patricia White. The film experience: An introduction. Macmillan, 2012.
This book is available as an e book. https://www.macmillanlearning.co.uk//page/detail/the-film-experience-timothy-corrigan/?sf1=barcode&st1=9781319208189
Submission of assessment items
Extensions & Late submissions
In this unit late submissions will be marked pass fail thereby avoiding the possibilty that a student, despite meeting the learning outcomes of the unit, fails the unit due to a late submission penalty,.
So the expectation should be .....150 hours / 13 weeks = 11.35 hours study per week
Attendance and participation is expected. Failure to attend may have a negative impact on your grade due to the missed learning opportunity.
Required IT skills
Basic IT skills. eg using Canvas , online meetings and word processing
Work placement, internships or practicums