Professional Practice 2: Work Integrated Learning (11018.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| On-Campus
|| UC - TAFE Queensland, Mount Gravatt
UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Arts And Design|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|School Of Arts And Communications||Level 3 - Undergraduate Advanced Unit|| Band 2 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Learning outcomesAfter successful completion of this unit students will be able to:
1. Reflect on and evaluate the standards of performance and practice expected in the workplace and the profession, and how professional skills and knowledge align with these expectations;
2. Analyse the role and application of theoretical ideas and knowledge in the professional context;
3. Solve problems and make appropriate and ethical decisions in the workplace or professional contexts using information, professional knowledge and consideration of different perspectives; and
4. Acquire, articulate and apply a range of transferable employability skills.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
2. UC graduates are global citizens - adopt an informed and balanced approach across professional and international boundaries
2. UC graduates are global citizens - understand issues in their profession from the perspective of other cultures
This faculty-wide unit comprises a range of Work Integrated Learning (WIL) offerings to accommodate students from different degrees and with different aspirations. Students can participate in WIL activities that best suit their learning styles, abilities, requirements and interests. This unit offers a number of options; your choice will depend on your degree and your individual circumstances.
- 120 hours unpaid or paid internship in an approved workplace, with a workplace mentor who is a professional in your field.
- Students work in single or multi-disciplinary teams to real clients on real projects (when available) with defined time limits with industry and academic mentors.
- This is an experimental space primarily for Arts students who are interested in creative careers. In the Creative Lab you will discuss, define, prepare, develop and produce your own creative project; reflect on your creative practice; understand the outlets and/or audiences for your work; and consider how best to 'pitch' your work to others.
Work Based Learning. Available by application only to those students who are working full-time in their discipline, for whom the other streams are neither useful nor possible. Contact the unit convenor to apply for this option.
Further information is available on the Canvas site.
PrerequisitesThis unit is only available to students in the Bachelor of Arts, Bachelor of Communication and Media, Bachelor of Design, Bachelor of Creative Industries and Bachelor of Digital Design programs.
Students must have passed 36 credits points in the course AND one of the following units:
10333 Professional Orientation: Arts OR
10334 Professional Orientation: Built Environment OR
10335 Professional Orientation: Communication and Media OR
10336 Professional Orientation: Design OR
11591 Professional Orientation (Creative Industries and Digital Design)
Incompatible units11574 Professional Practice: WIL Studio 3
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2023||UC - TAFE Queensland, Mount Gravatt||Summer Semester||28 November 2022||On-Campus||Mr Ehud Joseph|
|2023||UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank||Semester 1||06 February 2023||On-Campus||Mr Chris Worfold|
Readings and resources will be available on Canvas.
Please confirm participation requirements in your relevant discipline information on Canvas.
Required IT skills
Relevant and particular skills needed will be included on Canvas. Please check in your relevant modules for information.
Work placement, internships or practicums
This unit involves various types of work integrated learning and therefore, additional student responsibilities are required in addition to those described in this section. Work integrated learning requires strict adherence to professional practice principles and ethics. Client confidentiality must always be maintained, including for assessment items such as reports or essays. The professional nature of this unit also requires participation at all learning activities (lectures, workshops etc. if scheduled – see Canvas) for the successful completion of this unit. If attendance requirements cannot be satisfied (e.g. timetable clash), it is recommended that you meet with your relevant Program Director to schedule this unit for a future semester.
For Internship students only: This unit has pre-placement requirements. You are required to complete details in InPlace, refer to inplace.canberra.edu.au. If you have any queries related to InPlace please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Semester 1, 2023, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank (211914)
- Summer Semester, 2023, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, Mount Gravatt (216126)
- Semester 1, 2022, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank (206476)
- Semester 1, 2022, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, Mount Gravatt (206475)
- Winter Term, 2021, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (199509)
- Semester 1, 2021, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, South Bank (204198)
- Semester 1, 2021, On-Campus, UC - TAFE Queensland, Mount Gravatt (204247)
- Semester 1, 2021, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (199228)
- Winter Term, 2020, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (194871)
- Semester 1, 2020, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (193974)
- Winter Term, 2019, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (191828)
- Semester 1, 2019, Flexible, UC - Canberra, Bruce (184202)