Foundation Mathematics 2 (10133.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| On-Campus
|| UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|University Of Canberra College||Level 1 - Undergraduate Introductory Unit|| Band 1 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 1 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
- Algebra and Modelling
- Linear and non Linear Equations and Graphs
- Financial Mathematics
Learning outcomesOn successfully completing this unit students will be able to:
1. Understand and apply mathematical and statistical concepts in a diverse context at a level suitable to enter tertiary studies;
2. Communicate mathematical and statistical ideas confidently in order to solve problems at a pre-tertiary level in general; and
3. Use concepts and apply techniques to solve problems specifically in the areas of algebra and modelling, linear and non-linear equations and graphs, measurement, financial mathematics, statistics, and probability.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
2. UC graduates are global citizens - make creative use of technology in their learning and professional lives
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
3. UC graduates are lifelong learners - adapt to complexity, ambiguity and change by being flexible and keen to engage with new ideas
CorequisitesMust be enrolled in University of Canberra International Foundation Studies, 100CC.
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2022||UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce||UC College Trimester 2||20 June 2022||On-Campus||Ms Carol Drew|
|2022||UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce||UC College Trimester 3||17 October 2022||On-Campus||Ms Carol Drew|
|2023||UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce||UC College Trimester 2||05 June 2023||On-Campus||Ms Carol Drew|
|2023||UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce||UC College Trimester 3||18 September 2023||On-Campus||Ms Carol Drew|
New Century Maths 11 Mathematics General (Pathway 2) Preliminary Course 3rd Edition
Cengage Learning Australia, 2013 (3rd ed)
Margaret Willard and Robert Yen
New Century Maths 11 Maths Standard (Pathway 2) 4th Edition
Cengage Learning Australia Pty Limited
Klass Bootsma, Sarah Hamper, Margaret Willard and Robert Yen
New Century Maths 12 Mathematics General 2 HSC Course 3rd Edition
Cengage Learning Australia, 2013,
Klass Bootsma, Sarah Hamper, Margaret Willard, Robert Yen
New Century Maths 12 Standard 2 4th Edition
Klass Bootsma, Sarah Hamper, Margaret Willard, Robert Yen
Most unit content will be posted on CANVAS site.
Submission of assessment items
Special assessment requirements
To satisfactorily complete this unit, students must:
- attempt ALL assessment tasks, and
- achieve 50% overall, and
Upon meeting these requirements students will be awarded one of the following grade:
High Distinction - HD - (85 - 100)
Distinction - DI - (75 - 84)
Credit - CR - (65 - 74)
Pass - P (50 - 64)
In the event that the student receives a FAIL grade (below 50), one of the following may be used in the final grading:
NX – Fail result based on failure to reach a pass grade in the unit having completed all assessment.
NC - Fail result based on failure to complete one or more of the assessment requirements.
NN - Fail result based on non-participation.
WH - Withheld result
Additional information for assessment:
Teacher will keep a record of your attendance in class and completion of homework every week. Continuous assessment marks will be awarded based on these records.
Students have a responsibility to uphold University standards on ethical scholarship. Good scholarship involves building on the work of others and use of others' work must be acknowledged with proper attribution made. Cheating, plagiarism, and falsification of data are dishonest practices that contravene academic values. Refer to the University's Student Charter for more information.
To enhance understanding of academic integrity, all students are expected to complete the Academic Integrity Module (AIM) at least once during their course of study. You can access this module within UCLearn (Canvas) through the 'Academic Integrity and Avoiding Plagiarism' link in the Study Help site.
Use of Text-Matching Software
The University of Canberra uses text-matching software to help students and staff reduce plagiarism and improve understanding of academic integrity. The software matches submitted text in student assignments against material from various sources: the internet, published books and journals, and previously submitted student texts.
For International Foundation Program students, attendance in classes is compulsory in accordance with visa conditions. Attendance in classes is recorded. If your attendance is below 80%, the UC College Student Services team will be notified and there may be visa implication due to your absence in classes
There are five hours of lectures, tutorials and workshops per week in the thirteen weeks of the term with a one week break in week 7. Outside those hours, you may also make appointments with academic staff to discuss your progress and to seek guidance on questions that are of concern to you. Students should keep a set of study notes from the lectures and tutorials, in order to be able to revise for tests and exam.
Required IT skills
Students are required to be able to use their own devices or university computers to log into course website to access the course material.
Students will require to have or buy a scientific calculator. Recommended model: Casio fx-82AU PLUS II (or similar). This is available from Officworks for around $35.
Students should also have a ruler marked in cm & mm.
Students should have a protractor.
Students will need graph paper, or have the ability to print a pdf file of graph paper.
Work placement, internships or practicums
- UC College Trimester 2, 2022, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (205329)
- UC College Trimester 3, 2021, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (202439)
- UC College Trimester 2, 2021, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (201365)
- UC College Trimester 3, 2020, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (196987)
- UC College Trimester 3, 2019, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (189796)
- UC College Trimester 2, 2019, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (189762)
- UC College Trimester 1, 2019, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (189730)
- UC College Trimester 2, 2018, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (180510)
- UC College Trimester 2, 2017, On-Campus, UC - University of Canberra College, Bruce (165581)