Specialist Major in Sports Media (SM0009.2)
|Faculty of Arts and Design||School of Arts and Communications||24|
If you know your sport, you like telling stories and want to report on the events that often captivate the nation and the world, this specialisation brings together those interests and skills to prepare you for a variety of career opportunities in the sports media industries.
The Sports Media specialisation is founded on the principles of journalism. You will learn how to research, produce and present sports stories in text, visual and audio formats for mobile, online, social, broadcast and print media.
Your sports media experience will be practical. You will learn how to report on 'live' sporting events, interview elite athletes and coaches, and host your own podcast and TV panel show. You will work as an intern for six months as a digital media producer for a sporting organisation, and as a sports journalist in a media newsroom.
The role of sports media practitioners is not confined to telling stories about events in the sporting arena. The specialisation explores the media's role in reporting on sport's influence in Australian society and a broader global context.
Sports Media prepares you for numerous career options. The emphasis on journalism practice means you can embark on a career in sports journalism, or as a digital media producer that local, national and international sporting organisations view as an essential part of their operation.
Specialist majors are only available to students in the course for which the major is required.
- Bachelor of Arts/Bachelor of Communication and Media (ARAR01.3)
- Bachelor of Design/Bachelor of Communication and Media (ARAR02.2)
- Bachelor of Communication and Media (Sports Media) (ARB104.2)
- Bachelor of Communication and Media/ Bachelor of Event and Tourism Management (ARMG01.2)
- Bachelor of Communication and Media/ Bachelor of Laws (ARSC02.2)
- Bachelor of Business/ Bachelor of Communication and Media (MGAR01.2)
- Bachelor of Politics and International Relations/ Bachelor of Communication and Media (SCAR01.2)