Print this page

What is a CSP?

The Australian Government subsidises some students' university fees, which makes the cost for those students much lower.  If you receive the subsidised fee rate you are known as a Commonwealth Supported Student (CSS), or as holding a Commonwealth Supported Place (CSP).  

The Government allocates a certain number of these places to the University of Canberra each year.  We then allocate them based on merit.

Am I eligible for a CSP?

To receive a CSP you must:

  • meet the citizenship/residency requirements by being on of the following:
    • an Australia citizen
    • a New Zealand citizen who will be resident in Australia for the duration of your unit
    • the holder of a permanent visa who will be a resident in Australia for the duration of your unit.
  • be enrolled in a unit before the census date for that semester and remain enrolled in that unit until after this date
  • complete and submit a Request for Commonwealth Support and HECS-HELP form during the enrolment process before the census date for that semester.

If you are enrolled in a unit of study as a Commonwealth Supported Student, you will generally be required to contribute to the cost of your education through a student contribution.  Student contribution amounts are set by the Federal Government and are adjusted annually. 

Please visit the Study Assist website for further information regarding Commonwealth Supported Places, and to check whether you are eligible for HECS-HELP.