Print this page

How much does a unit cost ? Domestic Postgraduate Student with Commonwealth Supported Place

Domestic Postgraduate Tuition Fees (For students with a Commonwealth Supported Place )

Working out the cost of a unit involves several variables. If you are studying in a domestic postgraduate course and have a Commonwealth Supported Place), you will need the following information to work out approximately how much each unit will cost (please note, fees are indexed annually):

  1. The applicable Student Contribution Amount (SCA), for the current year of study
  2. The EFTSL (Equivalent Full Time Study Load) value each unit you are studying is and
  3. The Student Contribution Band for each unit.

Click on each of these terms for directions on to how to find the answer.

If you already have this information and/or you are ready to calculate your fees, go to How to calculate your student contribution amount.

1. Student Contribution Amount Rates - When did you start this course of study?

Each of these Student Contribution Amount Rates are listed at our HECS rates and Miscellaneous Charges website. Be sure to take note of the relevant amount.


You can find the EFTSL value of any unit you are enrolled in by logging into MyUC, clicking on 'Self Enrolment' and clicking on 'Units'. If you are enrolled in that unit, the EFTSL value will be listed under the 'Study Load' column. For a 3 credit point unit, the EFTSL value is generally 0.125. Alternatively, you can calculate the EFTSL value of any given unit by multiplying the units credit points and the course duration (in years), and then dividing by the minimum course credit points. The formula should look like this:

(Number of credit points for that unit x the length of time the course will take to complete, full time) / how many credit points are required to course complete = EFTSL value.

Eg. (3 credit points x 3 Years)/72 credit points= 0.125 EFTSL


You can find this information at the HECS rates and Miscellaneous Charges page, or if you are unsure as to which Band your unit falls into, you also can find the Student Contribution Band for each unit by searching for the relevant unit on our course database. This information will be at the top of the unit description page, entitled HECS Band. Our course database can be found here.

How to calculate your Student Contribution Amount

The fee for a unit is then calculated by multiplying the unit EFTSL value by the Student Contribution Band Amount that unit corresponds to (taken from the year you started study).

EFTSL x Band = Student Contribution Amount (how much each unit will cost)

For example, a 3 credit point unit generally has an EFTSL value of 0.125. If this unit is within Student Contribution Band 3 and the student started study in 2006, your calculations should look something like this:

0.125 x $8170 = $1022.00 for this unit (approximately).

You are enrolled in a 72 credit point Bachelor of Arts course. A standard full-time enrolment in this course would consist of 24 credit points per year, made up of 8 units (worth 3 credit points each); one full-time semester would equal 12 credit points, made up of 4 units (worth 3 credit points each).

Let's say in this semester, you are taking 2 units in Band 1 (Humanities etc) and 2 units in Band 2 (Accounting etc) within your course.

Based on the calculation above, if one 3 credit point Band 1 unit costs $577, then 2 x 3 credit point units would equal (2 x $577=) $1154 approximately. If one 3 credit point Band 2 unit costs $822, then 2 x 3 credit point units would equal (2 x $822=) $1644 approximately. Add these two amounts together ($1154 + $1644 =) to equal $2798. This would be your Student Contribution amount for the semester.

If you decide to defer your full Student Contribution amount by applying for a HECS-HELP loan, the amount you will need to defer is $2798.

If you decide to pay your Student Contribution amount ($2798) upfront in full, you would receive a 10% discount; so your Student Contribution amount would be reduced to approx $2238 (based on $2798 x 0.80 (10%) = $2238.40).

If you decide to make only a partial payment of your Student Contribution amount, the 10% discount will only be applied to the amount that you pay.

This is a fictional example, and the figures are approximates only.

Do I need to pay this amount up-front?

No. If you have a Commonwealth Supported Place (a HECS place) and are an Australian citizen, or the holder of a Permenant Humanitarian Visa, you may use HECS-HELP to defer all or part your Student Contribution Amount. For further information regarding this, please click here .

If you have any concerns regarding the calculation of your fees, please call the Student Centre on 1300 301 727.

Search Filter