Print this page


FEE-HELP is a loan scheme that helps eligible postgraduate students pay their tuition fees. 


To be eligible for FEE-HELP you must:

  • be undertaking postgraduate study (undergraduates should see HECS-HELP)
  • be enrolled in an eligible higher education provider (such as the University of Canberra)
  • be an Australian citizen or hold a Permanent Humanitarian visa
  • be enrolled in an eligible unit of study on the census date
  • not be Commonwealth supported in relation to that unit (not government subsidised)
  • have a current Tax File Number (TFN) 
  • complete, sign and submit a valid Request for FEE-HELP Assistance form during the enrolment process on or before the census date
  • not have exceeded the FEE-HELP limit (see below).

Students who are required to pay their fees upfront are not eligible for FEE-HELP assistance.  This includes:

  • permanent visa holders (other than Permanent Humanitarian visas)
  • New Zealand citizens.

FEE-HELP limit

The FEE-HELP limit is the maximum amount a person can borrow under FEE-HELP over their lifetime.  This limit excludes any loan fee. 

The FEE-HELP limit in 2017 is:

  • $126,101 for medicine, dentistry and veterinary science students (as defined in the Higher Education Support Act 2003)
  • $100,879 for all other courses (indexed annually).

Apply for FEE-HELP 

  • To apply for FEE-HELP you will need to submit a Request for FEE-HELP Assistance application form during the enrolment process which asks for a valid Tax File Number (TFN).
  • Submit to the University in person or online through the MyUC web portal by the end of week 4 of the relevant teaching period.  

Withdraw from FEE-HELP

  • If you withdraw from a course or unit(s) before the census date you do not incur a FEE-HELP liability.  
  • If you have applied for FEE-HELP and withdraw from a course or unit(s) after the census date you may apply for remission of your FEE-HELP loan by lodging an Enrolment Amendment Form through the University's Student Centre.  
  • Applications will only be approved with evidence of exceptional circumstances. Supporting documentation must be submitted with applications before they will be assessed.
See refund policy and application forms