Australian National Museum of Education
Building 5, Level A, Room 5A4
University of Canberra
+61 02 6201 2473
55-59 King Street
Thornburgh House is a two-storey brick villa constructed in 1890 for Charters Towers mining magnate E.H.T. Plant. It became a boarding school in 1919, a function that continues to the present day as Blackheath & Thornburgh College.
Thornburgh House has served a variety of purposes from boys’ dormitory to classrooms and most recently, administration. The College Archives are now housed here thanks to the Blackthorn Past Students’ Association (BPSA) major centenary project.
The College holds an extensive range of historic records, articles and artefacts, most of which are being digitised and will be available in our online archives section soon.
UC acknowledges the Ngunnawal people, traditional custodians of the lands where Bruce campus is situated. We wish to acknowledge and respect their continuing culture and the contribution they make to the life of Canberra and the region. We also acknowledge all other First Nations Peoples on whose lands we gather.