Welcome to the University Policy Library.
If you are unable to find what you are looking for please use the 'search' function below.
Delegations of Authority Policy is the key document for who is responsible to exercise a delegation – Note: Policies and procedure documents may not reflect the current delegations. Please refer to the Delegations of Authority Policy to identify who the delegate is.
Variation of Course Requirements Policy
This document sets out conditions under which approval may be granted to an individual student to modify the course requirements specified in the Determination of Course Particulars (DCP) for the course the student is enrolled in, and have the modified requirements count towards completion of the student’s course.
This document includes the principles for variation of course requirements and applies to all University courses.
- Variations of course requirements (VCR) are to be approved only if it is considered that the substitute unit is consistent with the course objectives and substantially satisfies the knowledge and skills expected to be gained through the unit to be replaced.
- A variation of course requirements must not put at risk any professional standing of that course.
- Variation of course requirements may be approved where a student wishes to:
- replace a unit listed in the DCP of their course on the basis of credit for a unit not listed in the DCP. The unit being replaced in the DCP must be specified;
- be exempted from undertaking a unit which is required by their course DCP, because they have completed an equivalent unit but are not eligible to be awarded credit for it. A substitute unit needs to be taken to enable the student to achieve the required credit points for the course; or
- seek an extension of the maximum period within which all the academic requirements specified in the DCP for their course must be successfully completed.
- Majors and minors affected by a variation of course requirements will only be considered as completed if they comply with the ”Administrative rules for majors, minors and units” contained in the Undergraduate Course Policy and Procedures.
- Requests for variations of course requirements which are not consistent with University policies must be approved by the Academic Board or other delegated authority as approved by the Academic Board.
- Faculties are expected to monitor VCRs in the Faculty to ensure their appropriate use.
|The Dean’s delegate (as determined by the Dean)||
|Chair of the University Education Committee (or other member of UEC appointed by the Chair for this purpose)||
6. Supporting Information: