The University campus will be a significant cultural and arts anchor in the region, complementing existing local offerings and revitalising campus life. Its mix of retail, hospitality and events will enhance night-time activity, extending the campus as a community facility beyond the 9am to 5pm weekday. The campus will provide a platform for cultural exchange, demonstrating the diversity of its community and provide services to support on-campus residents.
The Master Plan aims to realise an inviting, open and activated campus that brings students, staff and the community into its core, supported by a series of curated vibrant retail and hospitality nodes.
- The Concourse will be strengthened as the ‘cultural-heart' of the campus.
- Spaces within the campus core will be re-imagined, providing high-quality public spaces for pop-up events, retail and hospitality, highlighting staff and student activity, and welcoming the community to experience The Educated Life.
- A new public art strategy will provide direction on the placement of public art throughout campus, including identified locations for artwork storage facilities.
- Shared cultural facilities will enhance UC’s current offering, inviting the University community to experience a safe and diverse showcase of living, learning and culture.
- More night-based activities on the campus will encourage engagement with the community.
- Enhanced services and opening hours of facilities (such as student support services, gym, hospitality and retail) will support campus life throughout each day and all year.
- A series of small, curated retail and hospitality nodes will provide offerings related to the University neighbourhoods and provide a variety of services to campus users while complementing services provided by the Belconnen Town Centre.
- The University should explore the option of a hawker-style food hall with extended hours.
- A new local centre with core retail services and destination stores will support the proposed light rail stop and enterprise neighbourhood.
- A diverse mix of pop-up retail and hospitality activities will be encouraged.