Law Internship PG (11448.1)
|Available teaching periods||Delivery mode||Location|
|View teaching periods|| Internship
|| UC - Canberra, Bruce
|0.125||3||Faculty Of Business, Government & Law|
|Discipline||Study level||HECS Bands|
|Canberra Law School||Post Graduate Level|| Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan 2021)
Band 4 2021 (Commenced After 1 Jan Social Work_Exclude 0905)
Band 5 2021 (Commenced Before 1 Jan 2021)
Learning outcomesAfter successful completion of this unit, students will be able to:
1. Apply practical skills, including analysis, research, problem-solving and writing in a law or justice workplace;
2. Conduct research to solve real legal or justice problem/s;
3. Reflect on the study and practice of law and justice, including how social and ethical issues of the workplace impact on practice; and
4. Communicate their reflections or research through a presentation.
Graduate attributes1. UC graduates are professional - communicate effectively
1. UC graduates are professional - display initiative and drive, and use their organisation skills to plan and manage their workload
1. UC graduates are professional - employ up-to-date and relevant knowledge and skills
1. UC graduates are professional - take pride in their professional and personal integrity
1. UC graduates are professional - use creativity, critical thinking, analysis and research skills to solve theoretical and real-world problems
1. UC graduates are professional - work collaboratively as part of a team, negotiate, and resolve conflict
2. UC graduates are global citizens - adopt an informed and balanced approach across professional and international boundaries
2. UC graduates are global citizens - behave ethically and sustainably in their professional and personal lives
2. UC graduates are global citizens - communicate effectively in diverse cultural and social settings
PrerequisitesThis unit is only available to students in the Master of Laws and Juris Doctor courses. Enrolment in this unit must be approved by the unit convener. Students in the Master of Laws must have completed at least 4 postgraduate or graduate level units, including a research unit, averaging a credit grade or higher. Students in the Juris Doctor must have completed at least 12 postgraduate or graduate level law units, including a research unit, averaging a credit grade or higher.
Equivalent units8075 Law Internship PG
|Year||Location||Teaching period||Teaching start date||Delivery mode||Unit convener|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Summer Semester||30 November 2020||Internship||Mr Greg Boland|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 1||08 February 2021||Internship||Ms Doris Bozin|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Winter Term||01 June 2021||Internship||Ms Doris Bozin|
|2021||UC - Canberra, Bruce||Semester 2||02 August 2021||Internship||Ms Doris Bozin|
There are no compulsory textbooks to purchase. However recommended readings include:
Barbara Bassot, The Reflective Journal (Macmillan International Higher Education, 2017) (HD8038A1 B37. 2017)
Barbara Bassot, The Employability Journal (Palgrave, 2017) (HF5381.6 B38. 2017)
Daniel Susskind and Susskind R, The Future of the Professions: How Technology Will Transform The Work of Human Experts (Oxford University Press, 2017).
Submission of assessment items
Extensions & Late submissions
Drop Boxes are provided on your Canvas site for submission of your written assignments.
Workshop details are as below and also appear on your UC Canvas site.
Students are expected to complete the "InPlace" software application that can be found on the Moodle or UC website for this unit. Once populated with all the relevant details the unit convenor will assess and approve if the placement is acceptable. Notification will then be generated and an email sent to both yourself and your placement Supervisor indicating this approval. There is also a Learner/Supervisor Agreement to be completed and this can be found on Canvas. Should you have any difficulties please email your Unit Convener directly.
Required IT skills
You are assumed to have adequate skills in the use of word processing and spreadsheet programs, Internet browsers and search engines. If you feel you do not have adequate skills, please discuss the matter with the Unit Convener.
No additional costs beyond your travel, accommodation expenses, a police check (if required - currently approximately cost approximately $29) together with your normal unit enrolment fee are anticipated. If you are working with children you may also require a current working with children approval certificate (currently these are free for unpaid internship positions). If you require this certificate and/or a Police Check then steps involved on how to obtain these certificates can be found at www.canberra.edu.au/placement
Work placement, internships or practicums
This unit involves an internship and therefore, additional student responsibilities are required in addition to those described in this section. Work-place learning requires strict adherence to professional practice principles and ethics. Client/patient confidentiality must always be maintained including for assessment items such as reports or essays. The professional nature of this unit also requires 100% participation at all learning activities (lectures, practicals etc. if scheduled – see section 3) for the successful completion of this unit (also see section 6c). If attendance requirements cannot be satisfied (e.g. timetable clash), it is recommended that you meet with your Course Convenor to schedule this unit for a future semester.
- Semester 2, 2021, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (202857)
- Winter Term, 2021, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (202768)
- Semester 1, 2021, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (202623)
- Summer Semester, 2021, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (203626)
- Semester 2, 2020, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (195842)
- Winter Term, 2020, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (194849)
- Semester 1, 2020, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (193868)
- Semester 2, 2019, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (192244)
- Winter Term, 2019, Internship, UC - Canberra, Bruce (192245)