FAD Internships and Professional Practice
The Professional Practice units in the Faculty of Arts and Design offer students the opportunity to do different Work-Integrated Learning streams through an Industry Studio (Industrial Design and Built Environment), Internship, Project Hub or Creative Lab.
For students enrolled in a Professional Practice unit, please read the information here on CareerHub and nominate your preferred stream in O Week via the Nomination Form on Canvas before O Week of each teaching period. If you haven't enrolled or nominated by O Week, contact FADPPConvenor@canberra.edu.au
Project Hub offers students the opportunity to work on exciting real projects with industry clients. You'll collaborate in single or multi-disciplinary teams while being supervised by academic mentors. Projects on offer in 2021 including podcasts, communication, social media and marketing strategies, exhibitions and more will be advertised soon.
Creative Lab is an experimental space designed for Arts and other students who are keen to turn their creative work and ideas into reality. In this stream students will discuss, define, prepare, develop and produce their own creative project whilst identifying outlets and/or audiences, identifying exposure and promotion, and exploring linkages to communities of practice.
If you are already working full-time in your industry you may be eligible for a Workplace Based Learning project - contact FADPPConvenor@canberra.edu.au for information.
Internships are around 100 hours of meaningful work associated with your degree, supervised by a professional in your industry. Internships can be paid or unpaid. You can apply for an internship listed below or self-source an internship. To do an internship first you need to complete the Expression of Interest Form and then have it approved following the instructions below. All internships must be secured and approved by O Week. If you have any questions or concerns, contact FADInternships@canberra.edu.au.
Internship Eligibility Requirements
Students must meet the following requirements to be considered for an internship:
- Have a GPA of at least 4.0
- Be enrolled into one of the following units:
- Honours with a Work Integrated Learning Component
Follow these steps to do an internship:
If you are interested in applying for an internship:
1. Enrol into a Professional Practice unit and read the unit outline
2. Look at the available internships below.
3. Complete the internship Expression of Interest form. You only need to complete this expression of interest once per semester (not once per role).
4. Once you are approved to undertake an internship, apply for your selected internship following the directions provided to you by the FAD Internship Coordinator or provided in the Internship advertisement.
6. Attend the lecture and internship tutorials as scheduled on Canvas
7. Do your internship
8. Get your supervisor to complete an Internship Evaluation Report and attach to your final report.
9. Attend your debrief session