(8 hours per week)
Download a free course guide
Advance your career skills in a world driven by data. This online short course will provide you with the fundamental skills you need to launch your career in data analytics or apply data-thinking to your current role.
Today’s professionals are operating in the new ‘age of analytics’ and a surge in analytics jobs has resulted in demand across a range of industries from finance, health, science and defence to name a few.
During this six week course you’ll learn valuable skills in data analysis that you can translate into many roles and contexts. Add analytical capabilities to your existing skill set and learn the fundamentals of SQL and Tableau and discover how to manipulate, analyse, and communicate data insights using spreadsheets. Learn to produce evidence-based insights from data, how to detect patterns, create visualisations and build dashboards.
Whether you are an aspiring data or business analyst, or a professional who wants to develop data-related skills, this course will help progress your career and thrive in the new age of analytics.
Applications open 22 July 2021.
Growth in Australia’s digital economy and the increasing application of data analytics across a diverse range of industries is resulting in an increase in demand for data science skills. This makes those with a data skillset in high demand and able to command lucrative salaries.
Who should apply for this course
Professionals in finance, marketing, HR, education, government, healthcare, real estate, professional services or FMCG who want to develop their data-analysis capabilities so they can lead with data-driven business insights and support meaningful career progression and promotion.
- Apply basic statistical techniques to solve business problems
- Demonstrate data manipulation to using spreadsheets
- Create queries and aggregate results for multiple data sets using SQL
- Evaluate and select appropriate data visualisation techniques
- Create an interactive dashboard with Tableau
- Articulate best practice for working with data, and ethical considerations
- Demonstrate professional communication to ensure productive business outcomes
Introduction to data analytics
- Learn the role of data analytics in businesses and use data to drive decision-making
- Define the skills required as a data analyst
- Identify a ‘data analytics pipeline’ framework
Fundamental statistics and types of analytics
- Identify types of descriptive statistics and calculate manually with spreadsheet tools
- Understand the levels of analytics
- Explore analytics maturity of organisations
Managing and analysing data
- Customise and enrich data ready for analysis
- Identify and manage outliers in a dataset
- Create visualisations to detect patterns and trends
Working with multiple data sets
- Define a relational database using entity relationship diagrams
- Create, populate, and query a relational database with SQL
- Combine and aggregate data with SQL
Visualisation and storytelling
- Understand the theory of effective visualisations
- Best practices to design dashboards
- Develop visualisations and dashboards in Tableau
Successful data analytics
- Identify potential issues working with data
- Discover modern ways of working in an organisation as an analyst
Why choose UC Pro
Backed by the reputation of one of Australia’s top 10 universities.
THE World University Rankings 2020
University expertise with practical workforce skills. Taught by industry experts.
Fast and flexible
Short courses that fit in with your busy lifestyle.
Study your way
Online, in-person and blended learning to suit your lifestyle.
Upon completion of the Data Analytics Fundamentals course you will earn a digital badge and certificate of completion from UC Pro that you can share on your resume and LinkedIn profile.
In collaboration with