International English Language Testing System (IELTS)
The University of Canberra is the official testing centre for the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test in Canberra. The tests are conducted two times per month and are held on the University of Canberra campus.
- Any student wishing to forward results directly to the Canberra Institute of Technology as a recognising organisation must include the specific contact person and area details in the mailing address; i.e. 'Canberra Institute of Technology, GPO Box 826 Canberra ACT 2601' will not be accepted as a mailing address because it is not specific enough. CIT requires a contact person's name and the area in which he/she works.
- Effective from 31 October 2014, Australian Department of Immigration and Border Protection (DIBP) no longer accepts hard copy Test Report Forms (TRFs) for visa application purposes. Applications for TRFs to be sent to DIBP will not be accepted.
The International English Language Testing System (IELTS) is jointly owned by British Council, IDP: IELTS Australia and Cambridge English Language Assessment. Since its inception in 1989, IELTS has become the world's most popular high-stakes English language test. The test is recognised by more than 9000 institutions in over 140 countries. In 2014, more than 2.5 million candidates sat the IELTS test at one of over 1,100 test centres. It is a test of English language proficiency which assesses your level of skill in listening, reading, writing and speaking. For more information, please visit the IELTS website.
There are two modules of the IELTS test: Academic or General Training, depending on whether you want to study, work or migrate. Please talk to the organisations receiving your results about which module of the test you need to take.
Both modules are made up of four parts: Writing, Reading, Listening and Speaking.
The Writing, Reading and Listening sections of the test are held in the morning from 9.00 am to approximately 12:30 pm, with no breaks. The Speaking test (an interview lasting 11-14 minutes) is held on the Friday before the main test or in the afternoon after the main test on Saturday; on rare occasions you may be given a Speaking test time on Thursday.
Candidates must be available to do their Speaking test interview on any of those days. We will send out an email the week before the main test with your assigned Speaking test time and other instructions.
UK Visas and Immigration (UKVI) have a range of specific requirements for candidates wishing to use English language tests for UK visa applications. You must take a UKVI test at a designated UKVI IELTS test centre. For more information, please visit www.IELTSessentials.com/UK.
Visit the My IELTS Essentials application page.
Please note: You must complete your application within 30 minutes and pay for your test place within 48 hours of applying. If you don't, your application will be cancelled.
About your passport copy:
- You must have a scanned colour copy of your passport (including the photo page with your personal information, signature and the expiry date) ready before you start your application.
- Your My.IELTSEssentials.com profile must have your passport copy on it at all times. IF you delete your passport from your profile, your application maybe cancelled.
- If you have a new passport that you need to upload to your profile. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to let us know.
- The ONLY ID document we accept is a passport. Please do NOT choose 'National Identity Card' when applying.
- Please note we do not need your visa page.
- If you do not have proper scanning facilities, you can go to Officeworks to get a scanned copy of your passport. If you request a scanned copy from our office, a $5 administrative fee applies.
About your personal details:
- Your names must be exactly the same as the names on your passport and must appear in the same order.
- Please ensure your mailing address is valid because your test results will be posted to you.
- Remember your user name and password because you will need it to log back into the My IELTS Essentials website!
- Instructions for online payment will be given after you lodge your application online.
- Please ensure your email address is correct because a receipt for your transaction will be automatically emailed to you.
If you don't complete your payment within 48 hours of applying, your application will be rejected and the test place will be made available to other candidates.
Your chosen date may not be available anymore if your application is cancelled.
- Before sitting the test, you must read the IELTS Information for Candidates (PDF, 753.73 KB).
- Candidates who require special arrangements due to ill health/medical conditions must contact us before applying online.
To check if a test date is available, please visit the My IELTS Essentials application page.
2016 IELTS test dates
- November 5 and 19
- December 3 and 10
2017 IELTS test dates
- January 7 and 21
- February 11 and 18 (AC only)
- March 4 and 25
- April 8 and 29
- May 6 and 13
- June 3 and 24
- July 8 and 29
- August 19 and 26 (AC only)
- September 9 and 30
- October 14 and 28
- November 4 and 11
- December 2 and 16
Fees for IELTS Test:
- test fee: $330 (GST free) or $363 (incl GST)
- cancellation fee: $80 (Cancellation must be made at least 5 weeks before the test date to receive a partial refund)
- test date transfer fee: $80 (A transfer must be made at least 5 weeks before the test date)
- module change: $80 (upon availability)
- additional test reporting form fee: $30 a copy
- Passport scanning fee: $5
- Official IELTS Practice Materials: $35
- IELTS Top Tips book (Academic or General Training): $20
Motivated by IELTS
Students tend to be more focused and motivated by IELTS. [They] have clearer goals and IELTS is an internationally recognised result. - David, English language teacher, Perth, Australia
An IELTS score has very wide currency … it can give entry to courses and to immigration opportunities. - English language teacher, Australia
A citizen of the world
IELTS makes the world a bigger, more open place. I am grateful for my parents who encouraged me to learn English as it transformed me into a citizen of the world." - Pavel Kachailov, analyst at large accounting firm
To see more testimonials from real people please visit the IELTS Testimonials page.