Print this page


Enrolment in the first semester

Higher Degree by Research candidates who commence in the standard entry PhD will be required to enrol in coursework units in their first year (concurrent with thesis units), on advice from their Primary Supervisor. Candidates approved for accelerated entry enrol into thesis units from their first semester.

To be enrolled in the relevant units the candidate must complete a Unit Registration form, have it approved by their Primary Supervisor, and email it to the HDR Support team for processing. 

Unit Registration Form

Ongoing enrolment

Unless a candidate has been approved for a period of  Leave of Absence they will need to be enrolled each semester.

Enrolment for the following year can be confirmed as part of the Annual Progress Report (APR) submitted around September or October each year. On receipt of the APR the HDR Support team process the enrolment for the following year.

Changes to enrolment

If a candidate needs to change their enrolment outside of the annual reporting period, they are able to submit an approved Unit Registration form to the HDR Support team to make the change.

International candidates

International candidates who are considering a change to part-time load or withdrawal from units must consult the international student advisors before completing a unit registration form, in order to ensure that visa requirements are met.

HDR Support team mailing address

HDR Support, Graduate Research
University of Canberra ACT 2601

Email Address: