Excellence in Supervision Award
This award enables research candidates to recognise supervisors who they believe have helped them shape their futures and maximize their potential. The award aims to support a culture of excellence in supervision. It recognises that effective supervision leads to high-quality, mission-oriented research and engagement. This type of supervision is central to creating research that makes a difference.
Excellence in Supervision of Higher Degree by Research Students will be assessed on the following criteria:
- Evidence of how the supervisor supports their candidates to manage progress towards timely completion.
- Evidence of how the supervisor has supported the development of candidates' research skills.
- Demonstration of how the supervisor has encouraged innovation and engagement at UC, national and internationally.
- A demonstrated energy, passion and commitment to supervision, evident over time.
- Evidence of timely student progress and completion (to be completed by the Graduate Research team).
- The award will be given to the supervisor who has achieved the most outstanding composite result in the criteria described above.
The winner of the Excellence in Supervision of Higher Degree by Research Students award will be announced at the Research and Teaching awards ceremony in November and in the Staff Bulletin. The winner will be a finalist for the University of Canberra Researcher of the Year award.
The awardee will receive $2,000 which can be used to support research-related activities such as travel, conference attendance etc. The prize money will be allocated for the 2022 calendar year and funds will need to be expended by 30 November 2022. Funds cannot be carried over to 2023.
All enrolled Master by Research or Doctoral candidates may nominate a supervisor for the award. A candidate may nominate more than one supervisor, but a separate nomination needs to be completed for each. All nominees will be notified by the Graduate Research team.
The award is open to all University of Canberra staff members or adjuncts who are Registered Supervisors.
Nominations must include:
- Completed nomination cover sheet
- A statement addressing the assessment criteria detailed above (statement only up to two pages in total)
- Up to three independent testimonials from current or previous HDR candidates (up to 100 words maximum for each testimonial)
The nominating student may discuss the nomination with the supervisor and their other students in order to prepare the statement addressing assessment criteria.
Late nominations will not be accepted.
Manager, Policy and Programs
Ph: 6201 2821