Excellence in Supervision Award
This award enables research candidates to recognise supervisors who they believe have helped them shape their futures and maximise their potential. The award aims to support a culture of excellence in supervision. It recognises that effective supervision leads to high-quality, mission-orientated research and engagement. This type of supervision is central to creating research that makes a difference.
Excellence in Supervision of Higher Degree by Research Students will be assessed on the following criteria:
- Evidence of how the supervisor supports their candidates to manage progress towards timely completion.
- Evidence of how the supervisor has supported the development of candidates’ research skills.
- Evidence of how the supervisor has supported the development of candidates' career planning.
- Demonstration of how the supervisor has encouraged innovation and engagement at UC, national and internationally.
- A demonstrated energy, passion, and commitment to supervision, evident over time.
- Evidence of timely student progress and completion (to be provided to the selection committee by the Graduate Research team).
There will be one award in 2023 in this category. The award will be given to the supervisor who has achieved the most outstanding composite result in the criteria described above.
The awardee will receive $2,000 which can be used to support research-related activities such as travel, conference attendance etc. The prize money will be allocated for the 2024 calendar year and funds will need to be expended by 30 November 2024. Funds cannot be carried over to 2025.
The award is open to all University of Canberra staff who are registered supervisors.
All enrolled Master by Research or Doctoral candidates may nominate a supervisor for the award. A candidate may nominate more than one supervisor, but a separate nomination needs to be completed for each. All nominees will be notified by the Graduate Research team.
Nominations must include:
- Completed nomination cover sheet; and
- A statement of up to two pages addressing the assessment criteria as outlined in the preamble.
- Up to three independent testimonials from current or previous HDR candidates (up to 100 words maximum for each testimonial)
The nominating student may discuss the nomination with the supervisor and their students to prepare the statement addressing assessment criteria.
The winner of the Excellence in Higher Degree by Research Supervision award will be announced at the combined Professional, Research and Teaching awards ceremony in November. The winner will be a finalist for the Vice-Chancellors Researcher of the Year award.
Winners will be required to submit a brief report to the Office of the Deputy Vice-Chancellor Research and Enterprise (DVCRE@canberra.edu.au) on their use of the funds by 31 January 2025.
This should detail:
- How the award has assisted in engagement and impact activities for their research
- Details of engagement and impact outputs arising from activities funded by the award
- An acquittal of expenditure of the funds
Nominations must be submitted via email in one single pdf to GraduateResearch@canberra.edu.au by 29 September 2023. Late nominations will not be accepted.
|Mr Tom Bayliss-Hack|
|Manager, Graduate Research|
|Ph: 02 6201 2821|