Print this page

Research Degree Fees

Tuition Fees

International research students

International students should pay the full tuition fees to the university for the duration of their research degree, or have tuition fees paid on their behalf if sponsored by their home government or university.

International tuition fee rates can be found here: International Tuition Fees and Contributions

Dependent children's school fee exemption

Dependents of the following visa subclasses are eligible for a fee exemption to study in an ACT public school (preschool to Year 12):

  • Subclass 574 - Postgraduate Research Sector
  • Subclass 309 and 820 - Partner Visa & subclass 445 - Dependent Child
  • Subclass 576 - Foreign Affairs or Defence Sector
  • Subclass 402 - Training and Research Visa
  • Subclass 403 - International Relations Visa
  • Subclass 457 - Business (Long Stay) & Subclass 489 - Skilled Regional (Provisional)
  • Subclass 572 - Vocational Education and Training & Subclass 573 - Higher Education Sector

For enrolment procedures and exemption application information visit the Department of Education and Training ACT website.

Research Training Program (RTP) to support domestic research students

The Research Training Program (RTP) allocates Government funding to provide for the tuition fees of domestic students enrolled in higher degree by research courses (by provision of a fee offset scholarship). The period of support provided by the RTP is a maximum of four years' full-time equivalent study for students undertaking a doctorate by research (PhD or professional doctorate) and two years' full-time equivalent study for students undertaking masters by research.

Students who exceed their RTP entitlement but continue their enrolment will need to pay tuition fees for periods of enrolment beyond the maximum entitlement period. Eligible domestic students may defer the tuition fees to FEE-HELP (see below for more information).

Domestic tuition fee rates can be found here: Tuition Fees and Contributions

Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF)

All students are required to pay a Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) each year. Domestic Students may be eligible to access a SA-HELP loan to defer the SSAF. For more information on the SSAF see here: Student Services and Amenities Fees


Australian citizens and holders of permanent humanitarian visas are generally entitled to apply for FEE-HELP assistance.

To request FEE-HELP assistance you are required to complete a Request for FEE-HELP Assistance form, available from the Graduate Research Office. This form must be submitted to the University BEFORE the census date of the semester for which the student is requesting FEE-HELP.

More information on the website Fee-Help

ATO Website

For further information about FEE-HELP please visit Graduate Research (Building 1, Level B, Room 5) to pick up an information booklet.